Shooting Stix - Updated Info

Bonaire-Dave

Anyone using shooting stix, while hunting on the ground. Now for the big one - anyone got any opinions about shooting stix. I plan to mainly hunt on the ground, when I use a Ruger Superblackhawk Hunter in .44mag. Thanks, Dave

Updated 8/2/09
After looking around on the web - I found shooting sticks info on www.precisionrifle.com and varmit al's websites. I'm making one using info from both sites - didn't access to hockey sticks like precisionrifle use, so I just went to Home Depot and found some hardwood 3/4" sticks that are 36" long. Just have to glue some leather on the sticks so the rifle etc. won't slip or get scratched.

Last edited:

tv_racin_fan

What bipod do you have installed on your handgun? I didn't even realize there was one made for such, wonder how it would fit in my sholder holster with a bipod attached?

I have a set of shooting sticks I would use without hesitation.

HandgunHTR

Steelringin' Mod
Just a word of caution when using shooting sticks with a revolver.

Resist the urge to stablize the gun with your "off" hand by gripping the sticks and wrapping a couple of fingers across the top of the barrel.

You will be in for a very nasty surprise when you pull the trigger.

Other than that, yes I have used a Pole-cat shooting stick, as well as a no-name set (like the fiberglass tent poles). Both work very well.

tv_racin_fan

Excellent point. Had a couple of my sons young friends come over and shoot my flintlock. One of them before I had a chance to warn him helped his younger friend hold the rifle steady. He had an arm on the wrong side of the touch hole and got peppered pretty good. I was just busting some caps on this shotgun tuesday to dry it out prior to loading and peppered my wrist enough to convince me not to load the near side barrel since I had forgotten to wear a long sleaved shirt.

Davexx1

When deer hunting with my Contender, I always use some form of support or rest i.e. shooting sticks, tree stand shooting rail, etc. It is tough to shoot any handgun accurately at distance from an offhand hold.

I like the Stoney Point Bi-Pod the best as it really helps to steady the handgun for a long shot and does not wobble from side to side. The only issue is it takes a few seconds to adjust the twist lock legs to the desired height for whether you are sitting, kneeling, or standing.

Dave1