Ground Blind - techniques

DynamicDennis

Over the last 6 years I have killed many more deer in well thought out groundblinds. I may never get airborne again. Hunting thicker woods, ground blinds provide more shot opportunities IMO.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Don’t get hung up on a ground blind has to be commercially made. A tree had been blown over near the spot I chose. Carried my electric chain saw and drug part of the tree top into to place to block sight of my tree seat. My stick and seat put me looking just over that tree top.

Timberman

As I’ve aged I have begun to embrace ground blinds. With a little work they can be hidden very well and allow you to not be dependent on having a tree in the right spot. They’ve increased deer sightings for me. The first pic the blind is on a 6' platform which works great.IMG_2198.jpegIMG_2151.jpeg

KLBTJTALLY1

They work great. When a group of turkeys are milling around at 10 yards and none the wiser then you have a great product. Same goes for deer.

Cabelas/Bass PRO had one for about $150- that had a carry bag with chest strap. Hub style and big with duck windows on top if needed. Great blind for the money.

At 53 I sold my climber and went with ground blinds or ladders. Much quieter and easier to manage.

rstallings1979

I love ground blinds in flatter hardwood creek bottoms. You get too high off the ground and you run into issues in an area cluttered with trees that are not planted in a pattern. I really only have two options when I do use one. If I were hunting an area for the first time then I would set the ground blind up and brush it in like crazy. This year I used a ground blind in Illinois and I messed up by not brushing it in. I set it up right next to a pile of debris on a field edge but I didn't brush it in. Very first evening a shooter spots it and runs off. The does that came out after were also skittish. That next day I brushed it in like crazy with sticks, dog fennels, corn stalks next to the field. you could barely see the blind and left room for the opening to enter. The deer were much more comfortable. My other option is to set it up and leave it. Of course I have to buy a new replacement every 2-3 years. I use this option on property I own. In any case this is just my 2 cents on using ground blinds.

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
I think if your camoed up with face mask and gloves you would be fine sitting on the ground with your tri or bi pod
Makes it nice for the rain, wind and snow

kayaksteve

Ground blinds are great way to hunt, especially for young kids or multiple people. It’s not my favorite method but I usually have atleast one set up somewhere fairy easy to get to in deer season for those nasty days when I still want to be in the woods but not the elements.

WOODIE13

Ground blinds are great way to hunt, especially for young kids or multiple people. It’s not my favorite method but I usually have atleast one set up somewhere fairy easy to get to in deer season for those nasty days when I still want to be in the woods but not the elements.
Got a few set up, plus one portable for a change up or run and gun.

Just mud it to take the glare off and brush it in

B. White

You need a Millennium tree seat and a pile of brush...

I've had some fun this year strapping the seat to a tree no bigger than 10" and most trees between me and the trail were that size or smaller, but fairly thick. Lots of 2-3" ones. No brush added, just made sure I wasn't skylined and sit still. I've had a couple so close with nothing in between us that I thought there was no way they wouldn't see me, but never looked. I guess blue jeans and a sweat shirt are good camo if you don't move.

I have a pop up turkey blind I will use late season when everything is dead in a totally open area, but it is three sides and comes up about chest high, so just enough to hide hand movement. Killed a few using it. For a covered blind, I like ones made from pallets with a plywood roof that stay there year round and let them get used to it. I have tried pop up blinds around some old does and they will pick it out in a hurry. You can always be lucky and I have shot some out of one, but a grown deer will usually notice something half the size of a vehicle that wasn't there yesterday.

basshappy

BANNED
My "ground blind" yesterday. Back to a tree, I could pivot left or right to see behind me, and the beautiful view to my left and right and straight ahead. Big spike came right down where the fallen log is, watched him there and move down to my left and behind me. Much closer in person. Used ultrawide angle for this pic. Same spot two weeks back give or take I harvested a doe - she was straight ahead of me up the hill. I watched her, she blew once, I blew back and she stood looking at me, so I stood up and took the shot. Like the aerial views from trees or climbers, but hunting on the ground is awesome. Move positions easily and quickly.

20231129_200132.jpg

WOODIE13

My "ground blind" yesterday. Back to a tree, I could pivot left or right to see behind me, and the beautiful view to my left and right and straight ahead. Big spike came right down where the fallen log is, watched him there and move down to my left and behind me. Much closer in person. Used ultrawide angle for this pic. Same spot two weeks back give or take I harvested a doe - she was straight ahead of me up the hill. I watched her, she blew once, I blew back and she stood looking at me, so I stood up and took the shot. Like the aerial views from trees or climbers, but hunting on the ground is awesome. Move positions easily and quickly.

View attachment 1272931
With practice, a pop up is the same, within 3 minutes with a little brushing in or set it up @ a root ball

ldavid008

I set them up and hunt, rarely brush them in anymore, hasn't made a difference in my experience.

Due to the property we hunt we've been in tents for a couple of decades now. Plus dad is 76 now and can't/won't climb a ladder stand anymore. Even back when we had ladders and climbers in place, if possible I would setup a tent below for the kiddo's and myself on raining days. I deplore hunting in the rain and being in a tent while it's pouring is almost like cheating.

I drape camo burlap over the top to cut down on the sun bleaching and use clothes pins/safety pins to keep only the smallest openings to shoot out of.

In original post, you questioned putting the barrel out of the window. That is a must or you'll be buying new tents every time you fire due to the concussion blowing the side out of the tent.

WOODIE13

In original post, you questioned putting the barrel out of the window. That is a must or you'll be buying new tents every time you fire due to the concussion blowing the side out of the tetent.
A buddy did that with a 375 H&H out of one of mine, said it was like a cartoon, blind expanded like a ballon, had a ringer for weeks, didn't harm the blind though.

Never thought about it until he told me, glad it wasn't my personal learning experience

ldavid008

A buddy did that with a 375 H&H out of one of mine, said it was like a cartoon, blind expanded like a ballon, had a ringer for weeks, didn't harm the blind though.

Never thought about it until he told me, glad it wasn't my personal learning experience
Maybe it's because we use cheap tents, but it's happened twice to my dad (hunting with a friends grandson) and once to a cousin. All three times it blew out the sides requiring a lot of duct tape to put the new flaps back together.

WOODIE13

Maybe it's because we use cheap tents, but it's happened twice to my dad (hunting with a friends grandson) and once to a cousin. All three times it blew out the sides requiring a lot of duct tape to put the new flaps back together.
He said the deer came in on the side, barely had it inside and didn't realize it.

I use the ameristep and rhino (haven't had the best luck with the latter)