Duck blind build

Mackie889

Hi everyone. I have an about 5 acre flooded cypress area on my property that gets a decent number of wood ducks using it during the season. I want to build a platform type permanent blind where the woodies tend to land in the swamp. I want it high enough to slide a kayak or two underneath while hunting. My plan is to screw PT 2x8 lumber around a group of 3 or 4 cypress trees and then use deck boards to make the platform to stand on. I could use 2x4’s as rails in which to attach brush and moss for concealment. Has anyone tried something like this? Surely some will say it is overkill, but the area I want to put it is too deep to wade. Thanks for any input.

kingfish

Got a buddy that has access to 3 different properties like this. They went full Duck Commander on their blinds, both functional and comfortable. Keep us posted on the progress. Hope to see full straps of woodies and bacon sizzling in the background next season.

Mackie889

Got a buddy that has access to 3 different properties like this. They went full Duck Commander on their blinds, both functional and comfortable. Keep us posted on the progress. Hope to see full straps of woodies and bacon sizzling in the background next season.
Awesome! My nephew and a buddy hunted the last 2 mornings of the season. I was the guide and didn’t expect us to see so many ducks, otherwise I would have bought a duck stamp and joined them. They should have gotten 4 the first morning with about a dozen too far to shoot at and should have gotten their limit the second morning. I’m hooked now and am wanting to prepare for next season, hence the blind builds. I made duck bites out of one and the rest were taken home for future recipes. Thanks for the reply!

Attachments

• IMG_7340.jpeg
    IMG_7340.jpeg
    218.9 KB · Views: 7

Mackie889

You could stand some post up in 5 gallon buckets and pour them concrete. Then boat them out and sink em in place. 2 man job. Then build your blind off of that. Put a lean to on the back for your kayak. Building off the trees will put alot of stress on your frame shortening its life.
Thanks for the reply. I’ll probably use the 4x4 posts in buckets / concrete like you suggested. That’s a great idea

Mexican Squealer

You could stand some post up in 5 gallon buckets and pour them concrete. Then boat them out and sink em in place. 2 man job. Then build your blind off of that. Put a lean to on the back for your kayak. Building off the trees will put alot of stress on your frame shortening its life.
This is what I’d do. I’d avoid the trees…

tucker80

Thanks for the reply. I’ll probably use the 4x4 posts in buckets / concrete like you suggested. That’s a great idea
Wrap a rope around the bucket handle when you drop it. That way you keep it out of the mud until you have it lined up like you want.

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
You could make one that floated and not have to worry about water depth or sinking poles, hunted in a few in VA, just have to anchor it on a couple sides or tie it to trees.

Don't have to worry about beavers near as much.

Could use dock floats or plastic barrels.

The lean to is a good idea for the yaks.

Last edited:

Latest posts