First Time Duck Hunting

BigBass123

Got out today for teal opener in Florida, first time duck hunting.

Went in West Central Florida on an undeveloped lake. This was a solo trip on the kayak.

I got to the ramp pumped up for my first duck hunt at 4:45 AM. I tried to keep the gear as light as possible being as I was in a kayak. Camelback with water, shells, and a couple of calls, homemade pop-up blind, and 18 decoys were what I brought with me.

Doing my dry run of loading the kayak up last night took me all of 3 minutes. Loading it up in the dark while it was floating next to a dock seemed much harder for some reason.

Park the truck and I’m ready to go. No one else at the ramp.

There’s two cuts out to get to the lake, long way (~500 yards to get to the main lake, curves north into the lake where as I want to go South, well-maintained) and a short cut (~100 yards straight south to the main lake, fallen logs, spatterdock and matted hydrilla, 15’ wide cut between cypress).

My game plan is to save on the 1/4 mile of paddling and take the short cut even if I may bump a log or two.

I flip on my headlamp and have 5 sets of gator eyes reflecting back at me in the first 50 yards down that cut. I decide I don’t mind the extra paddling and head out the long way. Ended up being a good thing too, coming back with daylight the grass was so thick in that cut I wouldn’t of been able to paddle out.

Done some bass fishing in the past on the lake, which is how I decided where to setup. The area I chose to hunt had grass matted to the surface I figured the ducks could eat. Perfect little 10’x10’ cut along the shoreline 20 yards from where the grass began that was full of relatively spread out cattails. I figured this would work nicely as cover to pull my kayak with it’s pop-up blind into.

First two ducks I see, 1 wood duck and 1 teal, both flew by within 30 seconds of me putting up my blind. I hadn’t had a chance to even pull my shotgun out of the case yet.

About 15 minutes after shooting light, a blue wing teal flies by from behind me.

I pulled a jerk string as soon as I saw it and it circled right into the decoys. I was able to get that one, making it my first ever duck.

Stayed for about two more hours, didn’t see any other ducks.

A lot of fun, I’ll be back out to try a different lake tomorrow. As far as hunting out of the kayak, no stability issues at all, honestly didn’t notice any boat movement while swinging/shooting.

flatsmaster

Good for you Bass … I kept reading and expecting u got run over by a mud boat or someone setup on top of you and sky busted and I was surprised to finish post with u being as excited after ur hunt as the anticipation before the hunt !!! I’m in east central Florida and I don’t hunt public much but at times it can be mentally challenging..
Congrats on hopefully the first duck of many

BigBass123

Welcome to the addiction. Hope you’re not too attached to your paychecks
Already gave up my last couple of checks between waterfowl shells, decoys, blind, camo, hearing protection, etc. Luckily I don’t have space for much more on my kayak so that should slowdown anymore purchases.

Good for you Bass … I kept reading and expecting u got run over by a mud boat or someone setup on top of you and sky busted and I was surprised to finish post with u being as excited after ur hunt as the anticipation before the hunt !!! I’m in east central Florida and I don’t hunt public much but at times it can be mentally challenging..
Congrats on hopefully the first duck of many
Duck season in east central area always looks like a mad house while trying to fish. From what I’ve been told, the duck numbers are significantly better on that side of the state though.

ucfireman

Congratulations.
I'm a newbie too. I hunted a grand total of 2 times last year, public ponds that I have seen ducks on in the past while fishing. From the banks.
Either I suck or they went somewhere else, Didn't see the first duck fly by.
I will try again this fall, on my place. I got a beaver pond that had ducks in the spring.

flatsmaster

If ur fishing the lagoon yes Merritt gets crazy … if u get 1 of the draw hunts they can be decent if ducks are there bc they limit the number of groups in each impoundment… I’ve had a few great hunts in the Gulf
I have some private land we usually hunt here and we go to Ms … again congrats on ur hunt and good luck and be safe

ghadarits

That’s a good start. Congratulations on taking your first duck.

tucker80

A tip on your gear...
Buy a little each year once season closes.l and your collection will add up faster than you think. The sale items go fast, but there are some good deals every year.

DRBugman85

Welcome to the ADDICTIVE game of duck hunting, It not only ADDICTIVE its EXPENSIVE,Take your waders, waterproof jacket, shotgun shells,ducks calls,all the decoys and your shotgun and stand in the shower with COLD water running till your soaked to the bone,shaking and blue then bend over and shred $100 bills down the drain.Thats just how it is plus lots of sleepless nights. Have fun and enjoy,I still addicted after 59 years. ?