After 20 years...Back to waterfowl hunting again.

Well, years ago when I religiously hunted ducks and geese our choices were limited.
We could hunt one of the lakes like Lanier or next door to my house Allatoona.
If you wanted to make the trip you could drive down to Seminole but it would take a whole day just to get there from here.
Now we saw ducks! We even killed a few but they were filled with acorns.
Last season 2022/2023, I put in for the Dan Denton Impoundment pond 3 hunt and was picked for the last hunt of the season.
It was fun but not as good as it was on pond 1.
So, I've put in for pond 1 this season and expect it to be hot on pond 3 because of that.
But I'm still learning about all the new areas for ducks.
It's impressive and really nice to see that ducks are really getting good here in Georgia.

So, all that junk said, does anyone know where to go and just need a way there?
I'm finishing up my JonBoat build now and hopefully I'll be ready by the end of August.
I've got dozens of decoys too.
I just don't know about public land ducks anymore.
If you want to go and know where to go hit me up.

ghadarits

I hate to bring you down but don’t expect to see the same numbers of ducks you saw 20 years ago because they just aren’t migrating like they used to. Take a trip up north in January and you’ll know where all the duck are. They’ll still be way north. Don’t take me the wrong way I’m still going to go after them I’ve just adjusted my expectations to be more in line with the reality of what I’ve been watching happen over the past several years.

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
No birds in WV... ;)

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
Funny thing about that.
My family is originally from Beckley West Virginia
About 20 minutes away and I done kilt them all. Kansas or bust

buckpasser

I’m thinking about ducks for the first time since around 2003. I almost don’t want to get back in, as I know opportunities are limited here compared to back then, but I want my kids to get a taste of what I grew up doing. We shall see.

I rebuilt my old go devil last week complete with new engine. This week I’ll redo my trailer with new bearings and tires, and finally I’ll get a brand new Easy-up blind installed (easily the best blind ever produced).

Seminole, old friend, here we come! Please give us more than coots.

Just wanted to hop on and say good luck, the hunting is tough here in GA but eventually can be rewarding. I am new to duck hunting as this is my 2nd year. Unleaded gear this year (new waders new shotgun new decoys) I don't run top of the line stuff but it ain't the cheapest stuff either. Me and my 2 buddies(one is a veteran of waterfowl the other is as new as me) have found some wma's that have em on the compounds as well as places that flood(beaver ponds, low points, flooded timber) that seem to hold ducks. This year should definitely be our year to kill our first ducks(my veteran duck hunting friend has killed alot of ducks and geese). We've patterned our guns with the best loads for kur chokes and have learned to call as good as we can. Still Learning as we go but I love waterfowl...it's addicting and I'm afraid if I go to Louisiana on a guided hunt it would spoil me . We are in the process of building a decent duck boat. Our friend has ine but it's got many seasons on it so he's needing some work to it and a new trailer. Hope you all the best this duck season. We're gonna try for a few teal and geese this last weekend then back to deer hunting till the first split.

Well, years ago when I religiously hunted ducks and geese our choices were limited.
We could hunt one of the lakes like Lanier or next door to my house Allatoona.
If you wanted to make the trip you could drive down to Seminole but it would take a whole day just to get there from here.
Now we saw ducks! We even killed a few but they were filled with acorns.
Last season 2022/2023, I put in for the Dan Denton Impoundment pond 3 hunt and was picked for the last hunt of the season.
It was fun but not as good as it was on pond 1.
So, I've put in for pond 1 this season and expect it to be hot on pond 3 because of that.
But I'm still learning about all the new areas for ducks.
It's impressive and really nice to see that ducks are really getting good here in Georgia.

So, all that junk said, does anyone know where to go and just need a way there?
I'm finishing up my JonBoat build now and hopefully I'll be ready by the end of August.
I've got dozens of decoys too.
I just don't know about public land ducks anymore.
If you want to go and know where to go hit me up.
I'm not as experienced as most of the guys in here but I've been hard hunting ducks since the 2017-2018 season. I've done my fair share of scouting and cyber scouting. My best luck has been in the Oconee National Forrest and Redlands Wildlife Management Area, that being said, STAY AWAY FROM DYARS PASTURE. It is hunted way to hard and I've seen maybe 5 ducks in total with dozens of scout missions and hunts out there. Your best bet is going to find ducks on the Appalachee River (jump shooting) or walking into swamps and oxbow lakes fed by the river. Also there is about 50k acers of public land just south of Monticello, there are plentful amount of little swamps and creeks to hunt down there. They all have ducks consistantly. Find a hole with acorns dropping into it and there will be ducks.

Ajlink2

I hate to bring you down but don’t expect to see the same numbers of ducks you saw 20 years ago because they just aren’t migrating like they used to. Take a trip up north in January and you’ll know where all the duck are. They’ll still be way north. Don’t take me the wrong way I’m still going to go after them I’ve just adjusted my expectations to be more in line with the reality of what I’ve been watching happen over the past several years.
they arent even in arkansas/mississippi like they used to be. fly way moving west, and/or birds are staying up north on the heated ponds (thanks ducks unlimited!)