Tips or Advice? Hog Hunting Northeast GA

BowBurnham

Just got into hunting and decided to go the archery route. Been at it for about a month and got a bad placed shot on a deer that didn't kill. but now that deer season is over, I'm trying to get some hogs! I've been at it for two weekends now but I've been skunked, also cause I don't really know what areas to look in. So I'd like to learn some tips or advice that could lead me to finding any signs of hogs! I'm hunting in the Broad River and Lower Broad River WMA. I'm also close to the ONF if there's any chance there. TIA

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I don’t have any advice for the areas you are hunting . This time of the year can be tough without baiting them . Most of the easy food in the woods is scarce and they are constantly on the move .

transfixer

Just go through and read many of the posts in this section of the forum, going after hogs with a bow is going to be tough, as their nose will keep you from getting that close to them the majority of the time, I've always hunted Oglethorpe county, and its full of hogs in various areas, there are quite a few members here that hunt that area of the state also for hogs, a few with a bow, might look in the traditional archery section also, but I don't think any of them hunt public land over there , mostly private land.

as far as sign to look for ? that is easy, the ground will look like someone plowed it, it will be all torn up from them looking for grubs, worms, mushrooms, etc, look for trees with mud smeared on the bottom of them, from about 6inches from the bottom to 2ft up the trunk, they like dense cover, very dense , just remember they can smell much better than a deer can

Guitar Guy

Best advice is to keep covering ground. Finding hogs on public is like a giant puzzle that can take a long time to solve, and there’s also a lot of straight up luck involved in terms of timing. Keep hiking and keep putting the pieces together. Also, although the season may be closed, scout when it’s warmer and the woods aren’t filled with hunters. That’s a great time to learn their habits.

dfurdennis

This time of year it's been my experience to find some fresh heavy travel trails and just set up downwind and wait, other option is put the wind in your face and cover some ground you will definitely cover some ground