Those who squirrel hunt public land

nhancedsvt

Banned
When are you allowed to do this? All through the season or just when the wma is open to deer hunters?

Also if you do hunt during the deer hunts how do you keep from disturbing the hunters, especially if you have dogs?

I have never done much public land hunting and don;t want to be "that guy" that messes up everyone's hunt. And I especially don't want some hunter to shoot my dog if I take it out there this year.

fredw

Retired Moderator
Check the hunting regs for small game seasons on the WMAs. Most don't allow small game hunting on the days that deer season is open.

thomas gose

you can hunt wma's outside of quota hunts and bow season dates. and you can squirrel hunt NF. during deer season.

Last edited:
National Forests are good choices.

Personally, even though I could, I wouldn't dog hunt during deer season.

Jighead

Gone but not forgotten
Most wmas are open to squirrels during season unless a deer hunt is going on. each wma can be different, check your regs. I would never dog hunt on nat. forest during deer season.

eric4jr88

I'd dare say that if you make it a habit to hunt with a dog ANYWHERE at all on public land in Ga during gun deer season, when it is open to deer hunting at the same time that you're there hunting, legal or not, you will most likely end up with a dead dog before long. Carefully check the regs, and ONLY hunt management areas while they are open for small game and closed to deer hunting, and try to stay away from property lines as much as possible. Dogs can't read signs, and if they get off the mgt. area onto adjacent private land that people are deer hunting on, your dog is likely to get shot. It doesn't matter what breed of dog it is, if it has a collar, or if it never runs any deer, because there's a small number of deer hunters out there who hate dogs in the woods and they will shoot darn near every dog they see in the woods during deer season. Most deer hunters don't do this sort of thing, but enough of them do that I wouldn't dare risk it with any dog of mine, at least not during daylight...

nhancedsvt

Banned
Thanks for the input guys. I will have to check the regs for cear creek and see when it is open for me to hunt. I wasnt meaning that I would take my dog to actually hunt but I did want to give her some time in the woods (on a lead) just to get her used to being in the woods and around game. I just mainly wanted to make sure I wouldn't be invading other hunters because I hate when that happens to me. Also if anyone knows the regs for Cedar Creek if you could let me know I would greatly appreciate it!

Latest posts