Mornings or Evenings

Tail Chaser

I have a 2 year old fiest who is starting to put it together. She hunts with her eyes, ears, and nose. If a squirrel timbers, she follows it. She’s no champion, but a fine pleasure hunting dog. My question to others who hunt with dogs is what do you prefer, mornings or evenings?
I understand that most of us just go when we can, but if you had a month of Saturdays and had to choose, which would it be? Additionally, do you prefer cloudy or blue bird sky days?
I ask this because the last two afternoons we have hunted, we haven’t treed a single squirrel. We’ve done well on evening hunts in the past, but not this year.

Thanks

Hillbilly stalker

We are doing better in the evenings. That's the way it usually is this time of year. You might need to change locations a little. Sometimes they just move out of a location and you can waste alot of time trying to figure out why. I would go try the other side of the county or shorter scrubby trees, the more vines the better.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I’m not a big squirrel hunter but I’ve been seeing a lot out and about on these nasty weather days mid morning .

TurkeyH90

Evenings and bluebird days are better most of the time. WIND is the one major factor I cannot tree squirrels in.

Last edited:

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
Seems like it's been evenings most of the year since right after the first few freezes.

Tail Chaser

Skunked again!!! I hunted 3 hours this evening with my feist. I ain’t never gone this long without finding some bushy tails. I reckon I will have to go deer hunting to find some.

TurkeyH90

Skunked again!!! I hunted 3 hours this evening with my feist. I ain’t never gone this long without finding some bushy tails. I reckon I will have to go deer hunting to find some.
We hunted one of my best spots morning and evening yesterday. Killed ONE squirrel. We only made about 8 trees all day.