All good things must come to an end!

Doug B.

I had to put down one of the best dogs I've ever had this morning. She was a dog that loved to squirrel hunt. She wasn't the best dog I have ever hunted with, but I did kill a lot of squirrels with her. She would tree an occasional coon and even a possum now and then. But I didn't mind that.

She was just a pleasure to hunt with. If she treed a squirrel and I got it shot out she would get it and bring it to me. If I got tired and sat down in the woods, she would hunt around for a few minutes then come and crawl up in my lap. She would mind better than a child. She came to me when I told her to. She would get in the truck when I told her to. She didn't run deer, didn't run hogs, and didn't even look at armadillos!!!! She and I hunted together! I didn't have to hunt for her or hunt to find her.

I'm not looking for pity. I'm just giving credit to a dog that made a big impact on my life. She loved me unconditionally. If other people were hunting with us and one of them killed the squirrel, she would come across two hollers to bring the squirrel to me. That can't be replaced! May She rest in peace!!!!

She is the dog in my avatar. I don't have any pictures of her on my new phone so I can't upload one here.

It's amazing how a dog can get such a hold on our heart.

Jez, may she rest in peace!!!!!

specialk

sorry brother, it never gets easy and thats a fact.....sounds like a great dog!

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
I had to put down one of the best dogs I've ever had this morning. She was a dog that loved to squirrel hunt. She wasn't the best dog I have ever hunted with, but I did kill a lot of squirrels with her. She would tree an occasional coon and even a possum now and then. But I didn't mind that.

She was just a pleasure to hunt with. If she treed a squirrel and I got it shot out she would get it and bring it to me. If I got tired and sat down in the woods, she would hunt around for a few minutes then come and crawl up in my lap. She would mind better than a child. She came to me when I told her to. She would get in the truck when I told her to. She didn't run deer, didn't run hogs, and didn't even look at armadillos!!!! She and I hunted together! I didn't have to hunt for her or hunt to find her.

I'm not looking for pity. I'm just giving credit to a dog that made a big impact on my life. She loved me unconditionally. If other people were hunting with us and one of them killed the squirrel, she would come across two hollers to bring the squirrel to me. That can't be replaced! May She rest in peace!!!!

She is the dog in my avatar. I don't have any pictures of her on my new phone so I can't upload one here.

It's amazing how a dog can get such a hold on our heart.

Jez, may she rest in peace!!!!!
I’ve had several dogs over the years that I unashamedly say I loved. Dogs as hunters, pets, or service dogs make better friends than many people.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Dogs show unconditional love to those of us who will let them. Sounds like you surely love her back.

Hillbilly stalker

Man that’s always a tough time. Few people really appreciate a good dog. An old timer once told me “Son dogs do 2 things….they teach us how to love and how to loose”. It took several years for that to really sink in with me, but I understand now. We are blessed to have a special dog or 2 in our life, the secret is to recognize them while they are still with us. Sorry for your loss bud.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Doug, sorry to hear this. lots of good memories I’m sure. I hope those come to mind often for you.

its been only a few weeks since I had to put our fiest down. She was a pet but loved watching the squirrels out the window and was gone after them if she got loose outside. It’s still a raw spot.

Doug B.

Thanks guys for all the kind words.

Again, I'm not looking for pity and that's not why I posted this.

The biggest reason I wanted to share this is because it seems like we have become a society that wants the very best or the top of the line.

This dog wasn't the best squirrel dog I have ever hunted with. Other dogs would tree squirrels that she didn't have a clue was there. But she was the best dog I have ever hunted with! She just suited me! She and I was best friends. That was good enough for me!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I hate to hear it. I've been there several times, and never liked it. I always say that if dogs lived as long as we do, we'd only get to know one good dog in our lives.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
@NCMTNHunter is exactly right. It sounds like you were both very lucky to have found one another and to have had the time together that you had. l have experienced the same loss and am sorry for yours.