Big Whiskey report, Gordon Co.

Chuck C

I have been covered in deer.
Last Saturday evening, I was hunting between a pine thicket/bedding area and Death Valley, white oak acorn capital of N.GA.
I didn't see any bucks that evening but I lost count of does and young at 19.

There hasn't been a day this year that I haven't had traffic in this area. The deer are keyed in on the acorns and there doesn't seem to be any letting up. Most of the larger oaks still have plenty of acorns hanging.

The Thursday before the gun opener, I had 5 bucks walk in to the area I was hunting at about 11:25, exiting a 5 year old clear-cut. The deer got progressively larger as they came out. The count was:

1 knot-head
1 fork-horn
1 8 pointer, 10 to 12 inch inside, 8 to 10 tall
1 7 pointer, aka "Larry the Lobster", 20 plus inches wide with forks at the end of both sides that look like lobster claws.
1 ??, big 8 I'm guessing. I never got a good side view.

They all sort of figured out that something wasn't right at the end of the trail(Muzzy tipped hole punch) and they circled back around to the right. The walked right across the ridge in front of me and I got a good look at all but the biggest. They were all heading towards Death Valley and the bedding area I described earlier.

We have had numerous sightings of some very nice deer but it seems we have a preponderance of high-racked 8 pointers. That isn't all that suprising considering the number of 2 1/2 year old (approx.) medium sized 8 pointers that we have let walk.

I can't say that everyone has been seeing as many deer as I have. It seems that if you are not on acorns or an immediate pathway leading to acorns , sightings are going to be spotty.

I have seen most of the deer between 9:00 and 12:00.

More to come...

Last edited:

Murdock

Chuck, Glad you are seeing so many in Gordon Co. I am hunting a new piece of land in Gordon and have seen a little buck sign, but have only seen does. I have not even seen any does in the last three or four trips there. The area surrounding me is heavily hunted, so I am hoping they venture over my way soon.
Murdock

Chuck C

I have never seen so much buck sign.
I bet I saw 100 rubs within 300 yds along with several small scrapes. We also found 2 scrapes about the size of a sheet of plywood. I have know doubt that a group of bachelor bucks was responsible; there is no way one deer produced them.

jinx0760

Gone But Not Forgotten
Need any Help?

If you get in over your head, I am only 30 min. away and will be happy to help thin your Buck herd.