How do you decide what flies to take with you.

luv2drum

OK I have not found this on this forum yet. (not saying that I have not overlooked it):hammers: I just flat out do not know what to fish, when, where, and how to fish certain patterns. I've been looking at the posts for your favorites for trout, bass, and pan fish.

Say if you are trout fishing the Hooch or some of the streams up towards Ellijay and other parts of N GA. What would you take with you say during the winter months, spring, summer, and fall. I know certain times of the year you look to match the hatch. But say I want to fish the DH areas of the Hooch above Atlanta. What would be my best bets to carry with me for December - February? etc.

Thanks,:D

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
I ain't no expert,just ask Frequent Flier. But I would say this time of year a few BWOs and a few buggers of various colors would be a start.However,I have more luck nymphing this time of year.So add GRHE,Princes and Pheasant Tails to the list.

crackerdave

You can never have "too many!" You don't want to wind up being one of those bums you see sometimes,asking: "Hey -you got any extraterrestrials?":)

sage954

If you are looking to streamer fish all you need are Olive and Black Wooly Buggers in size 8 - 12.

This time of year your best bet is nymphing. Golden Stone Flies in size 10 and 12. Prince nymphs, Pheasant tails, Hairs Ears, Copper Johns, Lightin' Bugs in 14-18. A tandem rig with a large Golden or Prince nymph on top and any of these other flies on bottom is a good set up. Just keep mixing and matching until you find what the fish want to bite.

This time of year you might also happen upon a midge or Blue wing Olive hatch so it is good to have a few of these in your box. Midges in size 20-24 and BWOs in 16 and 18.

In early to mid March we will start to see the Caddis hatch. Any of the Caddis dry fly patterns in size 14 and 16. Plus some Caddis emergers in size 16. A good rig is to have an emerger tied off the back of the Caddis dry fly.

fishnpreacher

Don't forget the junk food....Y2Ks, San Juan worms, egg patterns, and the flash and trash stuff (flashy and nothing that you would readily identify). Throw in a good helping of Wooly Boogers, and then follow the above posters advise.

Tight Lines!

bowbuck

The simple answer is to carry it all, all the time. I usually have around 9 boxes of flys on me that range from size 2 streamers to size 24 bwo and midge dries. Unless I am fishing for wild fish in the spring or summer when I know they will rise to a dry I carry a little bit of everything. If I know the wild fish will come up I carry one DAYS WORTH flybox with stimulators and caddis dries with a few nymphs for those deeper holes. For the DH right now you want a variety of junk food (eggs,Y2k's, and worms of all different colors) with a variety of smaller nymphs to drop off of them. You should never leave home to flyfish new water without some olive or black woollybuggers stuck away in a box. This is my take on it, cause more than once I have arrived on stream to see the fish taking the type of flies I have in my box.... in the bag in the truck. Good luck and just add some new flies each time you get around a shop if you don't tie, pretty soon you should have a few for each situation you might encounter.

yaknfish

L2D, thanks for asking this question. And thanks to all who answered. I'm copying the list for future ref. I've got a good start, but some gaps in my flyboxes. And plenty of time to tie some up!

luv2drum

You can never have "too many!" You don't want to wind up being one of those bums you see sometimes,asking: "Hey -you got any extraterrestrials?":)

:rofl::rofl::rofl: Yep you're right. They might look at me and say ET go home!:banginghe

I'm just mainly trying to get an idea of the standards that I should neve leave home without and maybe an idea of what have as a back up if the regular go to patterns are not working.:flag:

Sargent

Well, I cheat.

I got a laminated card from last year's Shallow Water Expo (apparently they aren't having it this year) that shows hatches by month in Georgia. I think I paid a buck or two. I re-laminated it and attached it permanently inside my chest pack.

If I am starting to get skunked or impatient, I always have an assortment of San Juan worms, Y2Ks, Eggs, and Wooly Buggers.

WinMag.300

I agree with bowbuck

Bring it all!

bowbuck

and if I could just get my wife to admit I was right, all would be right with the world. lol :cheers:

luv2drum

Well, I cheat.

I got a laminated card from last year's Shallow Water Expo (apparently they aren't having it this year) that shows hatches by month in Georgia. I think I paid a buck or two. I re-laminated it and attached it permanently inside my chest pack.

I need to get me one of those!!!:shoot::shoot:

overbrook

you can look up hatch charts on the internet....and since they vary a little from one to the other....kinda cross reference them.....then pick a few of the most popular patterns covering those hatches in nymph,emerger and dry form...and maybe about a half doz. streamer patterns....a few times on the water will give ya an idea of which ones are to become your "sure fire favorites" ....then continue to replace and rotate others where you have the room.

unfortunately I'm like Bowbuck....I'll carry 8-10 various boxes sometimes.....and like to carry much more in the vehichle....so that if I find I'm without something....hopefully a quick jaunt back to the truck will solve that.My answer above is what I've always wished I had the sense to do :banginghe

luv2drum

you can look up hatch charts on the internet....and since they vary a little from one to the other....kinda cross reference them.....then pick a few of the most popular patterns covering those hatches in nymph,emerger and dry form...and maybe about a half doz. streamer patterns....a few times on the water will give ya an idea of which ones are to become your "sure fire favorites" ....then continue to replace and rotate others where you have the room.

unfortunately I'm like Bowbuck....I'll carry 8-10 various boxes sometimes.....and like to carry much more in the vehichle....so that if I find I'm without something....hopefully a quick jaunt back to the truck will solve that.My answer above is what I've always wished I had the sense to do :banginghe

Thanks, I found some cahrts online like you said, these are great. They even break it down by the stream you want to fish.:cool:

crackerdave

:rofl::rofl::rofl: Yep you're right. They might look at me and say ET go home!:banginghe

I'm just mainly trying to get an idea of the standards that I should neve leave home without and maybe an idea of what have as a back up if the regular go to patterns are not working.:flag:

I hear ya - I've learned a lot from this thread,too.