Wanting to get started in fly fishing. Have questions.

mark1j

I have no fly shops near me and I don't know anybody that fly fishes. I have been watching a lot of YouTube videos.

1. I don't know what rod / reel combo I need. I don't want to break the bank, but I don't mind spending some money if I need to. I will be traveling and flying with this so nothing outrageously expensive.
2. I will be fishing streams in East TN/N GA/NC and the Ozarks with the occasional trip out west once a year. So mostly trout but I do have a farm pond with everything in it that I can practice in.
3. I'm looking at ordering a combo pack to start with but not sure on length or weight. Should I order from a fly shop or order from Cabela's / Bass Pro or another big box store?

https://shop.littleriveroutfitters.com/tfo-pro-iii-fly-rod/#description

Looking at these 3 right now but I'm open to suggestions. Not sure about Orvis but the TFO has a no-fault lifetime warranty. I have many more questions, but I will take it one step at a time. Can anybody point me in the right direction?

lampern

You can order a combo from anywhere.

I'd look at a 5 weight line rod

"Short" rods are basically a thing of the past.

New rods today are generally 8 1/2 feet or longer

Last edited:

brutally honest

The 9’ five-weight is the standard “kit” rod. It’s a versatile outfit, and Orvis/TFO/Redington are all good. Another one to consider is Echo.

That said, I’ve completely changed my opinion on outfits for newbies. Most people struggle with casting. I think a shorter, softer action rod is better for learning how to cast.

See here for more:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
It's hard to go wrong with Orvis, TFO, or Redington for the money. My main dry fly rod is a Redington, and my main streamer/smallmouth rod is a TFO. Cabela's branded combos are decent, too.
If you're fishing varied stuff like you mention, it's hard to pick one rod that suits you for everything, but the standard 9' five-weight will do you right for an all-around rod until you eventually get more for different situations if you get into it. The 5-weight is a little heavy for small-stream mountain fishing around here, but works fine, and it may be a little light for bigger water out west, but will still get you by, and can handle bream and small bass.
One word of advice that a lot of folks who don't fish much can't understand-a rod shorter than 8' is worthless. Even on small-brush-choked creeks here in the Smokies, I use 8 1/2'-10' rods. Short rods don't cast well, and won't let you keep line off the water for drag-free drifts (the most important thing,) and lack casting range in tight places when you're roll casting or bow-and-arrow casting. Trust me. You don't want a short rod. It works against you and makes it five times harder than it should be.

Mac

Good Info, I too want to learn to use a flyrod.

splatek

UAEC
Look for used or cheap Amazon rod.
It ain’t the rod it’s the angler that catches fish. IMHO

For the area you’ll be fishing I much prefer a three wt, often slinging small flies. I like longer fluro leaders.
Personally, again just opinion, I’d spend my money on line as opposed to rod. The reel is useless for moser of the water you’ll fish. Just a line holder.

I really like tenkara for the bigger creeks in the smokies and Tennessee.
I like an Eagle claw for the smaller streams in NoGA and nc/tn

As for flies: hard to go wrong with simulator in yellow
Frenchie, Walt’s, sexy Walt’s, greenie, and I’ve never been skunked on a tellico

Concrete Pete

For what it’s worth:

Look for a medium action rod if you’re learning to cast. It’s kind of hard to learn how to cast with the tip of a super fast rod.

9 ft 5 wt is the best starting point.

I’ve cast some Amazon rods that were pretty decent. I think they were max catch.

It’s really important to seek information on rod and line pairings (ie which line is best for your rod). The line and leader are probably more important than the rod.

Reel won’t matter until it does. Most of the time it’s a line holder. I’ve had several occasions my drag helped on some nice fish (like .5% of the time). Do what you feel there.

redneck_billcollector

Purveyor Of Fine Spirits
Lots of good advice given above. I was tagged to comment in this post, while I almost exclusively fly fish, it is largely saltwater, and brother, that is a horse of a different color. Take lessons, it is much easier to learn how to do it right to start with as opposed to learning how to break bad habits in casting. I do trout fish though and I have found that the rod you choose and the reel especially, has not as much impact on your fly fishing, especially in southeastern streams for trout in most cases simply because distance is not an issue in most cases, however, accuracy is. My previous statement goes out the door if you really start to get into it, you will want different style rods for almost every different way you fish, a good streamer rod just ain't that good for fishing small dry flies with droppers or pepper grain sized nymphs in the wintertime or delicately presenting flies in a blue line stream. When I head to the mountains, I will have half a dozen outfits with me, but then again, I am a tackle ho. I tend to like antique tackle when I trout fish, if I can get away with it but, if you are like many in the southeast, sooner or later you want to catch a redfish on a fly rod (which actually eat flies better in many cases than any trout) and then you open "Pandora's box" with regards to tackle. Fly fishing is steeped in history and tradition, fine whiskeys and good tobacco, at least if you have any traditionalist bones in your body. I mean, I even have a collection of Spey Rods that I use from time to time in Georgia. I am a fly-fishing snob, and gladly admit it....so like I said earlier, I ain't the one you want advice from......Seriously, fly fishing fanatics will spend thousands of dollars just to catch one fish like the one in my Avatar, which is considered the "Holy Grail" of fly fishing by many.....the Permit, aka "Black Finned Devil", "that ***" or "the fish of 10,000 casts"......just to name a few of the names often muttered in shear frustration.

Lots of solid advice offered above and I will mostly defer to them, as they have much more experience than me. For the type of fishing you mentioned, I think a 5wt will be a good choice. Length is a personal preference, but 8'6" to 9' would be a good place to start. I have a very short 3wt, which is a lot of fun on small creeks and ponds, but definitely miss the ability to reach when try to drift a fly.

The outfits you mentioned all look solid. I have an Orvis rod, White River (bass pro), and a Cabela's (my first rod 25 years ago) and they are all solid. Ive heard great things about TFO and Reddington, too. Reels seem to be less important for trout and even smaller bass. I still like something that is durable and balances the rod. A reel that is too light or too heavy can throw the rod balance off. If you get a chance, try casting them before buying and see what you prefer.

Also, some lessons are a great idea. I never had official lessons, but did have a family friend show me the ropes when I first started and I still remember those tips to this day. YouTube has a lot of resources as well, but nothing can replace a mentor/friend with experience.

Lastly, just have fun with it! You don't have to be a perfect caster or have the perfect fly to be successful. While I very much enjoy catching trout, I absolutely love catching bream and bass out of farm ponds with the fly rod! And even when I'm not catching, just the act of getting outside and waving the stick around can be therapeutic.