When are yal gonna start listening in the morning?

bnew17

Just thought id see when yal are gonna start heading into the woods listening, if you havent already. Duck seasons bout over so ill have some free time.

boparks

I won't be able to help myself so I'll start trying to get birds to sound off near the house before I go to work next month just to hear a gobble. I don't hunt em there but I like hearing em.

If I'm hunting an area I usually go the weekend before to listen and walk roads etc to try and get an idea that nothing much has changed.

Veterans like Hawglips and others can make it happen by just stepping into the woods and responding to what they hear on the spot especially if it's ground you know

DBrannon

I like hearing them gobble so whenever it warms up a little in the mornings I'll be out there listening for them. As it gets closer to season though I'll be out there every morning trying to pattern where the birds are roosting.

fountain

i usually listen a few weeks before the season and have cameras out getting pics. the week of the season, they always disappear!
its kind of like deer hunting a little--they are generally in the same spot-they may not let you know it vocally, but they are there.
since i got married and left home, i have to try and get my dad to get up and listen--but he usually does not. all he has to do is open the dern window!!!
if you are hunting a low pressure area, then you will be fine on going off of recent hunts from years past, unless there has been a major change to the land/roosting area.

MCNASTY

Birds will change they're patterns before the season comes in. I like to hear them as good as anybody but unless im goin just to listen for fun its a waste of time till a week or two before the season comes in. I have the week before turkey season off from school so you can bet I'll be at a different location every mornin tryin to roost or locate a bird for the opener.

SouthGAHunter

Next few weeks .

Man you're crazy....if I started listening to birds in the next few weeks I wouldn't be able to sleep. I wanna hear em gobble as much as anybody, but I can't torture myself by hearing them and having to get back in the truck and leave....I might go the morning or two before the opener, just so I know where to start out....that's it

pseshooter

Listening or Scouting

I have already started scouting...scouting never stops but as far as listening about 3-4 weeks out. One thing I never do is call to them. It is about listening and following and glassing areas. Then I can sneak in and the birds never know I am there until I make my first call. I think one reason birds get call shy quick is because people hammer them with calls before the season to get them to gobble instead of just some good old fashion woodsmanship.I actually went scouting one time with a guy and he tried to call a bird in a week before and got it in to about 20yds before it pegged him. Never heard or saw the bird again. That's just dumb.

bnew17

one thing ive always wondered is when you are roosting one the night before. what the latest in the afternoon that you will try. meaning do yal normally not try to roost them half hour after it gets dark or what....just always wondered how everybody else does it...ive never really had much luck roosting them on my property

Booner Killa

I'll listen a week or two before the season if I have time. If not, I know what areas the birds are in most of the time so I can usually find one to tangle with!!!

TurkeyManiac

Better control that fever fellas!
If you new guys really want to make it hard on yourselves WAY to early you should go to The Yellow River game ranch. Those birds will gobble like crazy at you even if you just natural voice em' a little. :)