Custom Box Calls

wncgarrett

Hey Guys, I'm a newbie here and I need some advise. I have hunted turkeys for as long as I can remember and have used mostly mouth calls but now I really want to get good custom box calls but (like most everyone) I don't want to my wife hatin me after I get it. Seems like all the box calls I have got in the past just sound dead or you really have to work just to get a yelp out of it. I have been looking at David Mills calls and I'm leaning that way. Does anyone have any recommendations for what im looking for, a good call without breakin the bank. Thanks for the any help.

Kevin Farr

I really like Scott Basehore. He makes a dang good one and it's not high priced. He has won a bunch of awards with his as well if that means anything. good luck

Gaswamp

Bob makes an excellent box for a reasonable price. He is one of the few custom makers that I would buy a call from without running it first.

No doubt about that

ryanwhit

Bob makes an excellent box for a reasonable price. He is one of the few custom makers that I would buy a call from without running it first.

yep.

I like my new Scott's Cutter as well.

I understand Mr Mills makes a fine call, but I have not yet had the privilege to run one.

Dudley Do-Wrong

yep.

I like my new Scott's Cutter as well.

I understand Mr Mills makes a fine call, but I have not yet had the privilege to run one.

PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DON'T REFER TO ME AS MR.!!!!!!!:banginghe:shoot::flag:

va longbeard

Couple of recommendations from calls I have:

Billy White Hustlin hen - small to no wait
Tim Clayon one sider - small to no wait
Steve Mann butternut old hen - expensive long wait
Darrin Dawkins poplar - expensive long wait
SS calls one or two sider - small to no wait
Billy Bush - paddle call expensive long wait
Bob Harwell - small to no wait

Want a Lamar Williams - very expensive and very long wait

BOB_HARWELL

Doing fine,,,,,,,for my age. Thanks for asking.

BOB

Bob Harwell
SS custom calls
Marlin Watkins
Tim Clayton
Lee Smith
Marlin Watkins
Irvin Witt
Jeff Mac Kamey
And so many more

GADAWGS

You would do well to get a box from David Mills, great guy with a great product. You wont be disappointed

trailhunter

Just about all the names listed above are great call makers that I have had the pleasure of either owning one of their boxes or running one of their boxes.

In regards to the members of this board whose boxes I have run, David makes a jam up sounding box that is hard to beat and you can't go wrong with it. Gadawgs also makes an excellent box and Bob Harwell's boxes are top notch.

M Sharpe

Jack Scott makes a fine box and is even making a little one sider that sounds really good. Irving Whitt also makes a fine call, beautiful workmanship and sounds great too, SS Custom Calls makes some good ones as well. I played every call SS entered in the Call Maker's contest at the Grand Nationals last year, not a bad one in the bunch. I intended on buying one last year but every time I went buy their booth they were swamped. Maybe this year. I sure these others mentioned are fine boxes, I just haven't had the opportunity to play one,...yet.