First Time Fly Fishing ( I Need Advice )

DireWolve

For Starters, I have never fly-fished before. I am going to montana this summer and need to learn. Trout Fishing will be my main use, Here in North Ga and out west, would like to get a nice setup but I do have a budget. From what I read looks like the Rod and Line are most important. What would be the best setup for me and stay under $250. Also what dvd or book or whatever is the most instructional? CLasses look expensive so I will try the do-it-myself.

TurkeyH90

You could probably get a TFO rod and an Orvis reel and stay in that price range. Stay away from cheap line if you can. I would try to get the basics of fishing here down well before Montana as I hear it is rather windy conditions out west alot of times. The good news is their is some fine fishing in Georgia for you to learn on. Most new flyfishers start out on Smith Creek in Helen, Ga. during the DH season (now). Most flyfishers are more than willing to help a new angler get into the sport and start catching fish. Unicoi outfitters in Helen is a great place to stop for advice, directions, and equipment.

allenww

DireWolve, you need to talk to the fine folks at North Georgia Trout.Org (NGTO). Many of those gentlemen have fished in the northwest for many years, and one regular is a NP employee at Yellowstone. They can give you from experience everything you might need to know.

wa

Dean

DireWolve

I would search for some 'combo' rod/reel/line. 5wt, 8'6" or maybe 9' for a good all round fly rod.

To flyfish in Montana (anywhere really) if you are self guided (if you hire a guide they can supply rod/reel etc) you will need:

Felt bottom wading boots
Waders (unless you wet wade)
Polorized Sunglasses
extra leader (3x,4x, 5x)
Spool of tippet in same sizes
dry fly floatant
Fly box
Flies
Clippers
And a slew of optional items (split shot, indicator, forcepts, bug dope, sunscreen etc etc).

I would suggest pratice fly casting in the yard, then move to a pond, then go to moving water. You didn't mention exactly where in Montana you are going - but there is ALOT of big water there and it can be intimidating for.....what rivers? what month?

yaknfish

If you buy at a real fly shop, you won't spend too much more than trying to do it yourself. You might even pick up a few pointers. Temple Fork and St. Croix both make some nice casting rods that you'll enjoy and are within budget. 5wt is good all around rod. 6wt might be a little better if it's windy out there. Get a 9 footer. If you can't swing a lesson, find someone to get you started. An hour with someone watching and helping can help a lot and prevent bad habits.

centerpin fan

Orvis is having a sale right now. They have a couple of combos in your price range.

Pick up a casting DVD while you're at it. I'd suggest Joan Wulff or Mel Krieger.

yaknfish

Mel Krieger got me started. Essence of Fly Casting. Seems like a long time ago. I think I got it on 16mm.