Carbon Express weight forward?

uber_goober

I'm thinking about trying out them weight forward Carbon Express Maxima or Mayhem shafts but can't find any hard information about how the weight is distributed. Anybody measured the gpi at the front and the back to find the difference? Website just gives one gpi for the shaft and I'd rather know before buying...

stick_slinger

I didnt even know the Mayhems had the weight forward deal too..

thompsonsz71

not sure about the actul gpi.... but you can tell about how the weight is forward because of the camo.... you know the dipped end of the shaft has got to weigh more, plus i think the sidewalls at the back end are thinner and stiffer

solocamslayer

I have the Mayhem Hunters and you can actually balance them on one finger and feel the excess weight in the front of the arrow. I've been very pleased so far with them.

uber_goober

balancing act

I have the Mayhem Hunters and you can actually balance them on one finger and feel the excess weight in the front of the arrow. I've been very pleased so far with them.

So about how far from halfway down the bare shaft do you reckon they balance -- an inch or three?

I'd like to figure out what a 25.5" cut shaft would weigh if the 8.9 gpi (for the Mayhem 250) is an average, not uniform across the whole shaft. Or do you cut them to length equally from front and back?

thanks y'all.

stick_slinger

So about how far from halfway down the bare shaft do you reckon they balance -- an inch or three?

I'd like to figure out what a 25.5" cut shaft would weigh if the 8.9 gpi (for the Mayhem 250) is an average, not uniform across the whole shaft. Or do you cut them to length equally from front and back?

thanks y'all.

25.5 would be from the nock to the end of the shaft..

And im not sure on the weight.. Whatever arrow you decide to go with.. The Archery shop you get it from will weigh and shoot it through a chrono free of charge if you ask.. Most will do it for free even if you didnt buy it from them..

uber_goober

25.5 would be from the nock to the end of the shaft..

And im not sure on the weight.. Whatever arrow you decide to go with.. The Archery shop you get it from will weigh and shoot it through a chrono free of charge if you ask.. Most will do it for free even if you didnt buy it from them..

Thanks, but at $150/dozen for Maxima Hunters, I'm not buying 'em until I understand 'em!

stick_slinger

Thanks, but at $150/dozen for Maxima Hunters, I'm not buying 'em until I understand 'em!

Oh I understand that completely man.. But you dont have to buy them buy the dozen.. Archery Shops sell them in singles...Go to your local archery shop buy 1 or 2 get them cut and shoot them through the chrono.. Take them home and shoot at the target a few days, if your happy.. Then drop the money for the dozen..

tescobedo

I use Maxima Hunter 350s. The weight forward is to aid in better front-of-center (FOC).

http://archeryreport.com/2009/12/arrow-foc-basics-calculate/

If I use 100 grain G5 Montecs my overall arrow is 29 inches with a FOC percentage of 8.1%.

The same arrow with 125 grain Slick Tricks is 28.75 with a FOC percentage of 11%.

The math doesn't really mean squat to me. I tune my bow, arrows, and broadheads for maximum accuracy & efficiency.

What length do you need?

-Tony

uber_goober

I'm experimenting with shooting shorter than I usually do, down to 26".
I wonder if I can count on the shorter CE wf's to stiffen up the same way uniform weight shafts do -- in other words, is the spine different in the front and backs of the shaft?

I wrote their customer service and will post their reply.

ClydeWigg3

I'm experimenting with shooting shorter than I usually do, down to 26".

Your arrow should only stick out about 1" past your rest. How long of an arrow are you shooting now?

tescobedo

Send me a pm & I can meet up w/ you. I'll give you a fletched 350 or two.

-Tony