Hancock County's Rut Report questions???!!!

the HEED!

Banned
Noticed some guys in N Hancock did'nt see much and other parts of the county say it was wide open last weekend. I believe the peak is forecasted for 9-11 of this month. Do you think us fellas that can't get down till this weekend will see any left over action or will we haved missed out. I hunt in NE Hancock in Powelton community and did'nt see a lick of rut action just does with nothing with them. Saw a big boy cross the dirt road onto our land at 845 Saturday night but that does me no good if he's already nocturnal in the middle of the rut. I guess I'm asking is there any hope for us this weekend or is it pretty much gonna be over. ::huh: HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

HeadHunter

I hunt just about inside sparta city limits and we didnt see that much rut activity either. Even though there were 6 good bucks seen last week/weekend, there wasnt that much chasing going on that I saw anyways. I think there is hope for everyone this weekend with the cold air coming in this week and through the weekend. Should be some really nice bucks taken in the next couple of weeks. I believe the peak will be this weekend or maybe a little earlier. Good Luck!!!

the HEED!

Banned
rut hope...

might be able to slip out of here on friday and catch a wet drizzly hunt since they're calling for light rain friday, perfect weather for hunting especially the rut, hope your right that it will peak this weekend :shoot: ::gone:

Todd E

PSE,

If you've read my other posts about me being disgusted with our land in Hancock, you understand that I haven't had a good season there so far. There is no sign anywhere and there are NO DOES. Well, I put my Lakotacam over a fresh scrape and had the whole roll taken in THREE DAYS. Many different species of game on film. Our members are not seeing any deer.

Most positive thing to report is this......
After 45 mins, my dad wasn't back at camp and I was starting to get worried. Well, he finally showed up. Seems he had two good bucks come up grunting and then fought it out for 5 mins in the thicket right there at him. Evidently, the loser ran off and he started grunting the winner in to his location. By the time the cautious buck circled in on him, it had gotten dark. He had to sit in the dark for 30 mins with the buck walking around him before the buck left. He didn't want to spook him climbing down. Guess I know where Pop will be in the morning. :D

Walkie Takie

Don't giveup

Nov -9 - 16 and even later , if the weather stays cool like it is now , don't worry , the buck will start and will move and chase all the does they have in there area's and then start looking every where else , that what you want to happen ( that new buck that come's onto your land , looking for your does and you know where they are and you wait on him to show up and BLAM BLAM you got him /// w/t

E

early riser

We spent a whole week in Sparta, saw VERY little if anything that looked like rut. Did see one 6 pointer do a short run on a doe, then both stopped and began to browse ::huh: .

Last evening HPurvis saw a GOOD DEER and the buck chased several others away, then ran into the woods itself. He said the buck was running hard and he couldn't be sure about the length of the brow tines, and it all happend so fast before he could decide on the shot, the buck bolted back in the woods. All this was the last 15 minutes of legal shooting last evening (Tuesday).

Looked like last nights 30+ degree temps was just fixing to get things rocking, but I had comitments back here at home and had to return :( .

Jeff Phillips, I did manage to take me a 125# doe to send up to the jerky and slim jim processor!!! :)

Saw a good many deer, but not the numbers we should have with us being in the woods for 6 days. Seems like the does have all held up in the woods. They are still TONS of acorns falling at Crabapple.

We talked to Mr. Virgil Ice, over at Dream Land deer Processing and he said it was looking like it would be a TERRIBLE YEAR this year, and by this weekend it looks like he would be behind last years processed numbers and down by 80 deer!

early riser

H

HT2

Man Larry......

I guess it's only happenin' on the "northside" of Hancock.......

Them bucks are really goin' to town.........

There was "3" pretty good bucks taken this past weekend.......I passed on "2" pretty decent 8-pointers on Monday morning.....

It seems to be "ON" at our leases......

BTW.....

The bucks that were taken were in "FULL RUT"......Necks swollen, hocks black, and their faces full of scars where they've been fighting'.......

I'm fixin' to head back down here in just a bit..... :clap: :clap: