Big Thank You to GA DNR LE for Trespassers

Jim Boyd

Never attributed it to you.
My point was the landowner purchased a cell cam, network access, probably spending several hundred dollars at DNR suggestion.

Personally, I am for less government rather than more.

I spent $15k putting a chain link fence around our 4 acre yard here at the farm. My choice. Mainly aimed at security but it will eventually contain my dog in retirement.

I view the OP’s purchases that you referenced as no more invasive (to the owner) than the security system most folks have in their homes now.

Same principle - people working to protect what they own.

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
Personally, I am for less government rather than more.

I spent $15k putting a chain link fence around our 4 acre yard here at the farm. My choice. Mainly aimed at security but it will eventually contain my dog in retirement.

I view the OP’s purchases that you referenced as no more invasive (to the owner) than the security system most folks have in their homes now.

Same principle - people working to protect what they own.
I agree with that.

Would DNR have caught and ticketed those perps if the landowner hadn't done the leg work for them?
OP was fortunate to be in an area the DNR frequents.
Last time I called the Ranger came from Atlanta (I'm in middle Ga.) 2 days later only to tell me they couldn't use the viseo of my interaction with them.

transfixer

Agree.

Ticketing a Dad for not having their kid in a life jacket is a lot easier than trying to catch a fish poacher sneaking your lake.

anytime a law enforcement officer arrests someone on a charge where the officer was on scene witnessing any of the unlawful activity the officer will be required to be in court on the court date, assuming the DA pursues charges, many times those court dates occur on the LEO's days off , its a necessary downside to the job, among others, unless its a gungho rookie LEO I can see where they figure it isn't worth pursuing ?

basshappy

BANNED
I agree with that.

Would DNR have caught and ticketed those perps if the landowner hadn't done the leg work for them?
Last time I called the Ranger came from Atlanta (I'm in middle Ga.) 2 days later only to tell me they couldn't use the viseo of my interaction with them.

DNR definitely does not frequent the area our land is. Our land is land locked by surrounding land owned by other persons and the county. We have a long easement to reach our land. The first Ranger had never been out to this area. Interestingly to me the second Ranger had been out to the this area and crazy enough he had been up on this ridge where they were baiting and hunting!!!! To me that was incredible because again the remoteness of this land - folks aren't walking by and seeing a trail and deciding to walk it etc. I am 100% certain the trespassers were SHOCKED to see DNR walk up on them.

I think one driving reason the trespassers were hunting up there us because how remote the land is, how few homes are anywhere near it, and if you have a 4-wheeler how easy it is to access it (versus walking in).

There was fortune or luck involved that Friday, because there was 1 Ranger working Bartow, Cherokee and Cobb counties that day. And he happened to be available to come. And lucky for us the trespassers had not yet left. Heck I was nervous for him walking in to speak with the trespassers because he was solo and cell signal is spotty at best. I actually messaged the other Ranger for Bartow who was off duty and informed him he made contact and was speaking with the offenders because I wanted someone to know where he was and what was happening.

Jim Boyd

I agree with that.

Yes, I agree his actions led to the citations.

I completely understand your initial sentiments but the truth is, protection lies with the owner.

Same reason, at times, we arm ourselves.

Best of luck to all.

basshappy

BANNED
Why is it up to the landowner to do all the work to catch trespassers?

My impression now is that for DNR to get involved they need, or prefer, to catch the perp in the act. From speaking with two rangers. I had photos and videos that a forensic analysis of would show correct date and time they trespassed on our land - like I didn't doctor the timestamp values etc. Initially I thought this would be enough to serve criminal trespass citations. But I learned they want to catch them in the act versus after the fact. But only from this interaction. Might be different in different county or depending on the offense.

basshappy

BANNED
It’s always baffled me how the long arm of the law works.

Sounds like these guys were blatant and habitual. Can’t wrap my head around why there were any warnings given. Never mind it being the first time the law interacted with them. You had two different encounters with the fella. That should be enough for a legit trespass charge.

Meanwhile, I’ve heard a few stories about interactions with very honest friends/acquaintances of mine that had some very minor, honest mistakes/mishaps and they’ll hammer them.

Glad you got it taken care of but I’ll echo some previous comments… don’t let your guard down. They might think you are only a deer Hunter and abandon the property otherwise. So I’d remain just as vigilant during off season.

So while I was irritated they were trespassing and cut a 4-wheeler trail through our land and someone else's land, I was more unhappy they were baiting and killing deer. On land that was not their land. And had been doing so for 10-15 YEARS.

I _thought_ DNR would be heavily interested in the baiting and hunting part more so than the trespassing part. I _thought_ DNR might put up their own cell camera(s) and speak with the county to find out if anyone had permission to hunt and bait.

But first Ranger told me after he learned names of trespassers he would contact the county and ask if they had permission. I thought why not just ask the county now up front no matter their names because either way by contacting the county you now know no one is allowed or persons X, Y, and Z are allowed.

It seemed after the fact backwards to me. But I am not LE, don't wear a badge, don't deal with these criminal acts daily - they do and they are the experts.

So I realized I would have to buy and run a cell camera in order to catch them entering our land and hope DNR could get out there in time.

basshappy

BANNED
If you have any buildings on that property, you'd best keep a tight eye on them. People like that are the type to come back with a can of gas and a lighter.

Fortunately I don't think there will be any further negative dealings. Sure could be wrong but gut says they are done coming onto our land. I already had trail cams and now cell cams, and the record with DNR with them. We will likely visit the county sheriff office to have a discussion to see if there is anything we need to do with them, SO, so there is a record or what not.

Browning1

I was checked by DNR last week while hunting on WMA. There is a hunting club across the road that has been having problems with trespassing. He had waited on me to come out of the woods after dark to see which property I came out of.
DNR is out there but I bet they get thousands of calls a year and just do not have enough officers to respond to them all. That being said- I would think they could do more in your situation or get PD involved.

specialk

I was checked by DNR last week while hunting on WMA. There is a hunting club across the road that has been having problems with trespassing. He had waited on me to come out of the woods after dark to see which property I came out of.
DNR is out there but I bet they get thousands of calls a year and just do not have enough officers to respond to them all. That being said- I would think they could do more in your situation or get PD involved.
yep, low hanging fruit.....

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Fortunately I don't think there will be any further negative dealings. Sure could be wrong but gut says they are done coming onto our land. I already had trail cams and now cell cams, and the record with DNR with them. We will likely visit the county sheriff office to have a discussion to see if there is anything we need to do with them, SO, so there is a record or what not.
That's what I thought when I had an issue many years ago.
Came back on Easter weekend and cut a bridge and the clubhouse down with a chainsaw.
This was before trail cameras became affordable.

basshappy

BANNED

Don't quote me, but my takeaway is that Sheriff will be hesitant to come out if fishing or hunting is involved as that falls under DNR LE division. Regular trespass - local Sheriff. Trespass with gun or fishing rod - DNR LE.

The 2 trespassers received citations requiring pay online or appear in court. Their criminal trespass warnings appear in Bartow County "system" now, so if they trespass without firearm or fishing rod, Sheriff will take them to jail.

basshappy

BANNED
That's what I thought when I had an issue many years ago.
Came back on Easter weekend and cut a bridge and the clubhouse down with a chainsaw.
This was before trail cameras became affordable.

That is crazy! Did the perps get charged, r no evidence linking them?

So we have cameras covering all property lines of our property and popular areas within our property. And cameras covering cameras. :( You know, in case a trespasser decides to vandalize or steal a camera. Very few are within standing reach. Kind of absurd. But the flipside is ever since we have installed so many cameras and signs we have had no trespassers except the group on 4-wheelers cutting through to illegally hunt the county land. So coincidence or not, having the stupid cameras may have cut way down on our trespasser count.

HavocLover

Don't quote me, but my takeaway is that Sheriff will be hesitant to come out if fishing or hunting is involved as that falls under DNR LE division. Regular trespass - local Sheriff. Trespass with gun or fishing rod - DNR LE.

The 2 trespassers received citations requiring pay online or appear in court. Their criminal trespass warnings appear in Bartow County "system" now, so if they trespass without firearm or fishing rod, Sheriff will take them to jail.

Just seems so silly to me and sounds like it gets awfully technical. Splitting hairs.

So my take away is just call the local sheriffs office for a trespasser. At least that way it’ll probably happen a little timelier. Whenever they get there, “oh, how bout that deputy. They have a gun in their hand and some camo, must be hunting or something.” Surely they aren’t just going to walk away from the situation.

You can’t expect land owners to know all these technicalities and whatnot. If someone is on your property and they shouldn’t be, that’s all they need to know. Heck with whatever activity the trespasser is taking part in.

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
Just seems so silly to me and sounds like it gets awfully technical. Splitting hairs.

So my take away is just call the local sheriffs office for a trespasser. At least that way it’ll probably happen a little timelier. Whenever they get there, “oh, how bout that deputy. They have a gun in their hand and some camo, must be hunting or something.” Surely they aren’t just going to walk away from the situation.

You can’t expect land owners to know all these technicalities and whatnot. If someone is on your property and they shouldn’t be, that’s all they need to know. Heck with whatever activity the trespasser is taking part in.
They most certainly will.

Toliver

Criminal trespass is criminal trespass. Local law enforcement can handle it. They won't charge the hunting violations because they're not trained in it and won't know the elements of the crime nor what code section to use. Game laws are whole different section than regular criminal law. A person on your property for the purpose of unlawful activity is committing criminal trespass. The biggest problem is every judge I ever dealt with wanted a verbal warning from the person with authority over the property to have been given before they would issue a warrant for CT. I can't even begin to tell you the number of reports that are written for the sole purpose of documenting a CT warning for future use in prosecution.

redneck_billcollector

Purveyor Of Fine Spirits
Ranger said they have to issue a warning first for criminal trespass, and then if they come back for any reason it is do not pass go do not collect $200 but do go straight to jail.

It appears you get one "freebie" for criminal trespass.

If I recall correctly we could go to the DA with the videos and photos of them trespassing previously and the 4-wheeler trail they made on our land and push them to press charges and seek financial compensation to fix the damage they caused.
If the land is not properly posted, they have to be warned once, same with a business, they have to be officially warned not to step foot on the property again, then it will be criminal trespass.

Toliver

If the land is not properly posted, they have to be warned once, same with a business, they have to be officially warned not to step foot on the property again, then it will be criminal trespass.
There is nothing in the code section requiring property be posted. But the wording in the law is vague enough that judges, even with signs and fences, will often require a verbal warning from the owner on the first occasion of trespass. Personally, I think the fact that they know they're not the owners and shouldn't be there should be enough of a warning.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
That is crazy! Did the perps get charged, r no evidence linking them?

So we have cameras covering all property lines of our property and popular areas within our property. And cameras covering cameras. :( You know, in case a trespasser decides to vandalize or steal a camera. Very few are within standing reach. Kind of absurd. But the flipside is ever since we have installed so many cameras and signs we have had no trespassers except the group on 4-wheelers cutting through to illegally hunt the county land. So coincidence or not, having the stupid cameras may have cut way down on our trespasser count.
They were gon within 20 minutes of sunrise.We thought it was the neighbor next door cutting firewood because he had stated a few weeks before he needed some.