Getting desperate now...

warronl

I have 10 days left, and it will be the third year of thurkey hunting that I haven't taken a bird:banginghe I've been on some good hunts and heard birds gobble:cool:, but still no bird of my own:cry: Hopefully next year, I can get in on some private land to turkey hunt on. Nothing wrong with Paulding Forest, but I don't know it that well, and don't have enough experience for the "wily" wma birds. I don't deer hunt, so it's gonna be a looooooonng off-season:(

chadf

Dont give up man!
Get back out there!

warronl

Going again today! I'm going through my sick/personal and vacation time like a bass through a school of shad! What a way to burn it up though!:banana:

turkeys101

I have 10 days left, and it will be the third year of thurkey hunting that I haven't taken a bird:banginghe I've been on some good hunts and heard birds gobble:cool:, but still no bird of my own:cry: Hopefully next year, I can get in on some private land to turkey hunt on. Nothing wrong with Paulding Forest, but I don't know it that well, and don't have enough experience for the "wily" wma birds. I don't deer hunt, so it's gonna be a looooooonng off-season:(

man ive been turkey hunting for three years as well and i have alot of experience.i hunt paulding forest aswell and had a huge bird come up to me and another guy shot em.but if u give up it will never happen.i almost had it happen but it was not my time just yet

Gumbo1

You can do it. The hens are nesting and the big boys are looking for some fun. Be a warrior, paint your face and don't move!!

This is my first year to seriously hunt turkey. Could have shot jakes several times, but waiting on long-beard. Called one in last Saturday within 40 yrds, too thick to shoot. I will not give up! Going today, and Saturday and so on! GET ER DID! Never give up!

returntoarchery

hang in there. work hard at your calling and woodmanship. it will come. took me to my 3rd year to get my first. One thing to remember about turkey hunting. One hunt the turkeys will make you feel like you're the greatest hunter in the world. The very next hunt they'll cut you off at the knees and make you feel like a fool.

bird_dawg

You can't kill em if you're at the house! Keep your head up man and keep working at em.

chicken cow

Banned
Go for the Slam!

Just go book 4 outfitters for next year..south FL for Osceola in March, Kansas for Rio's, Iowa for Eastern both in April, and Wy for Merriam in May...Then you have killed a Grand Slam in one year. From worst to first...then does in even matter if you ever kill another turkey again?...It dont get much better than that:clap:

florida boy

Just go book 4 outfitters for next year..south FL for Osceola in March, Kansas for Rio's, Iowa for Eastern both in April, and Wy for Merriam in May...Then you have killed a Grand Slam in one year. From worst to first...then does in even matter if you ever kill another turkey again?...It dont get much better than that:clap:
Glad someones got the money !

warronl

Thanks for the encouragement guys! I'm definitely not lacking enthusiasm, just kinda anxious about the 15th. I just got permission to hunt a peice of private land near yorkville:cool: The owner showed me a video of a bird strutting in one of his fields. He says the bird absolutely will not gobble. I watched this fellow strut around and feed in this field for close to 45 min on video , and not a single gobble. No response to crows or anything else. I read about another poster in a similar situation, and he was given the advice to just cluck and purr every now and then. That's my next move.

limbhanger

If possible, hunt Paulding during the weekdays. Hunt mid morning, say from 9-2. Put on your walking shoes and get in the areas others won't walk to and use light, very light calling. Sit in one spot for a least 45 minutes and move on. I think you will be surprised. Good luck!

Etter2

Banned
Hunt the afternoons where the birds were roosted in the morning. Call every thirty minutes and sit still.

madcop942

This is my first season of turkey hunting. We have seen four turkeys this season and have heard many. I do not know if they were hens or gobblers. All I saw was tail feathers. I bet those rascals see me when I am leaving my house!!!

madcop942

I am so inexperienced I do not know how to scout for them them unless I see them cross the road in front of me.

I know they roost in trees, but where do I look. Do they rest in pines or hardwoods. If you hear one gobble, what do you do? Do you stalk them or hunker down and call to them?