Big Thanks to Bart & Tim @ Orvis

ASH556

I went in the Norcross store today on my lunch break with probably a 30 year old Shakespeare Glass rod and reel. If you've seen my other thread you know that I'm just starting to look at getting into fly fishing. I got the old rod from my Grandpa in June. Bart and Tim really went above and beyond with helping me today. Tim disassembled the old reel, cleaned and lubed it. Then Bart showed me some nice newer rods I can start saving for. He helped me pick out a line, leader and tippet material and spooled it up for me. They gave me about 45 minutes of their time answering my (probably foolish) questions. No doubt when the time comes I'll be going back there with my business. Just wanted to give some Kudos to some helpful guys, and thanks to the folks on here for recommending them!

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Good Deal!:cool:

cobra97

I really like fishing with some of my old glass rods. Kinda fun. I managed to break my Shakespear tip though. Still have a couple of others.

Ever see Lefty Kreh give a casting demo with just the tip of a fly rod? Impressive!

Point being that you don't always need the newest stuff, but it darn sure nice to have.

Come to think of it, 30 years old is 1980 and that isn't really old! :hair:

Got to admit, I like my 3 year old 6'6" 'boo 3 wt also. :love:

And good on Bart and Tim.

Terry

cobra97

I found the video of Lefty casting with just the tip of the rod. It was in Atlanta in '07, I saw him in Ft. Pierce, Fl. several years ago.

Watch about 1:05 into the video. Hope this works.

object>