Going to see Gun Docc on Thursday..

J Gilbert

To get him to do some work on my little 20ga turkey killer. I know several of you guys have been to see him, so I thought I'd ask this here. I'm going to be mounting a Burris FFII on it but don't have it yet. I'll be using the Marlin 336 mount and one of Snood Collector's protectors as well. Do you think Mr. Wilbanks will have a 336 mount to use as a template for the holes he'll be drilling, or should I grab one before I go? Thanks guys

trkyhntr70

Best thing to do is call Curtis and ask, He's a master craftsman; I believe he's kin to the man that invented the wheel.
You wont be dissapointed.:cheers:

Huntinfool

You definitely won't be disappointed. The work he did on my 20 was nothing short of awesome. One word of advice...be patient. If it takes time to get it done it's worth it. At least you're getting started pretty early.

J Gilbert

You definitely won't be disappointed. The work he did on my 20 was nothing short of awesome. One word of advice...be patient. If it takes time to get it done it's worth it. At least you're getting started pretty early.

Patience won't be an issue, I spoke with him and because I'm having him do the flat black textured paint job on my gun, it will be a 2 day deal but I'm just going to take it up there Thursday and talk with him awhile about what I want done and probably pick it back up on Friday or sometime next week

Gadget

To get him to do some work on my little 20ga turkey killer. I know several of you guys have been to see him, so I thought I'd ask this here. I'm going to be mounting a Burris FFII on it but don't have it yet. I'll be using the Marlin 336 mount and one of Snood Collector's protectors as well. Do you think Mr. Wilbanks will have a 336 mount to use as a template for the holes he'll be drilling, or should I grab one before I go? Thanks guys

He's done a few custom 336 mounts for me with my Docters, No I don't believe he'll have one, and I don't believe you'll be able to "grab" one from any local retailer. Have to order one. You might be able to call Burris and get the specifications with the hole spacing so he could tap it without though.

J Gilbert

Good idea Gadget, you've been a big help both here and on OG today, thanks again

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Curtis built me on of his specialized single shot turkey guns, which I am highly pleased with. Give him my regards, if you will.

Gadget

Good idea Gadget, you've been a big help both here and on OG today, thanks again

No prob........ guess I'm not as bad as they make me out to be.:bounce:

Are you JG over on OG? Had no idea that was you.

Since your having Curtis doing work for ya, I assume he could open up the IC or any other choke you were thinking about getting or have already, as he has done for me. Remember you can always take away, but can't give back, so start with a size that may be on the too tight side if your gonna order any custom sized choke. I would hate for you to order one too big and have to buy another. The barrel on my Savage 220 is a little over standard bore so may account for some of my results. I would probably start with a 570-575.

send ya pm

Sloppy_Snood

The barrel on my Savage 220 is a little over standard bore so may account for some of my results. I would probably start with a 570-575.
Savage 220 bolt-action 20GA slug gun or the older Savage 220 single shot 20GA break-action shotgun Gadget? :confused:

I thought I was the only one to actually put a smoothbore barrel on the new Savage 220 bolt-action 20GA with Accu-Trigger....did you do this too? :confused:

savage220projectbulladd18.jpg

Last edited:

Gadget

Savage 220 bolt-action 20GA slug gun or the older Savage 220 single shot 20GA break-action shotgun Gadget? :confused:

I thought I was the only one to actually put a smoothbore barrel on the new Savage 220 bolt-action 20GA with Accu-Trigger....did you do this too? :confused:

Old Savage 220A

Here's a link to a pic I posted in the autoloader thread
http://forum.gon.com/showpost.php?p=5563118&postcount=13

Nice rig you got there. What's kind of hunting you doing with it.

Sloppy_Snood

Old Savage 220A

Here's a link to a pic I posted in the autoloader thread
http://forum.gon.com/showpost.php?p=5563118&postcount=13

Nice rig you got there. What's kind of hunting you doing with it.
Sorry.....I could not tell that was actually a 220A with the camo job on it. :O

As far as my 220 bolt-action goes, it is a 30-inch, full-length tapered bull-barrel 20GA with a match chamber and INV Plus 20GA screw-in choke tube threading. NWTF still target shotgun but it goes turkey hunting occassionally. :biggrin3:

Gadget

Sorry.....I could not tell that was actually a 220A with the camo job on it. :O

As far as my 220 bolt-action goes, it is a 30-inch, full-length tapered bull-barrel 20GA with a match chamber and INV Plus 20GA screw-in choke tube threading. NWTF still target shotgun but it goes turkey hunting occassionally. :biggrin3:

should of known that's a match gun, shot a few targets with some Curtis's, amazing the custom work that goes into those guns.

packrat

gundoc

Curtis could make a silk purse outta a sows ear if he can get it in his lathe. If he can't, he will make an adapter to make it fit. Call him before you go down, it's deer season you know.

J Gilbert

Curtis could make a silk purse outta a sows ear if he can get it in his lathe. If he can't, he will make an adapter to make it fit. Call him before you go down, it's deer season you know.

I spoke with him today and he said Thursday was perfect.
As far as I'm driving to see him, I didn't want to get there and have him be too busy to help me, so I made sure to call ahead haha. I've heard he's THE man when it comes to turkey guns so I knew once it was time to start working on mine, I would be remiss to take it to anyone but him. I'm excited to make the trip and have my gun worked on (really more like transformed from what it is now), as well as talk to Mr. Wilbanks as I've read numerous times on here that he's a wealth of turkey hunting knowledge. It'll be worth the drive no doubt

Gaswamp

:hammers:one of these days:banginghe

J Gilbert

Well guys, I had a good trip up to see Mr. Wilbanks. Because he's painting my gun as well, there was no way it could be done today so I'm going back to pick it up on Monday. He's a great guy and definately knows his stuff, I'm glad I followed the recommendation from all of you and ventured up there.

Gaswamp, your 220B is ready, it's a gorgeous gun, he showed it to me while I was there. I couldn't believe the condition for a gun that old, it'll be a shooter for sure

Gadget

Gaswamp, your 220B is ready, it's a gorgeous gun, he showed it to me while I was there. I couldn't believe the condition for a gun that old, it'll be a shooter for sure

What? it's done already?

I told Curtis to take his time, that I didn't want it done till after this coming turkey season.......:bounce:

J Gilbert

What? it's done already?

I told Curtis to take his time, that I didn't want it done till after this coming turkey season.......:bounce:

I have a feeling he won't find this nearly as funny as you or I did :rofl: ::ke: