First Gobbler

southgabowhunter

It was one of those evenings that every turkey hunter dreams about. It was the evening before opening day for the 2006 Georgia turkey season. That evening was filled with enthusiasm and anticipation for the upcoming morning. The vests were loaded, coffee was brewing, and the alarm was set. Now the one of the most difficult things i've ever done was now a challenge.
After a sleepless night, the alarm finally went off at 5:45. I sprang out of bed, threw on my clothes and went to wake my dad up. Little did I know that he was already up and dressed too and waiting for me. We loaded the vests, filled the cups, and walked out the door. The morning i had longed for so long, was finally here.
As soon as we stepped out of the truck, my feet hit that classical south georgia white sand. I was at home. I pulled out my phone and the clock said 6:20. At 6:30, we heard our first bird of the season, but he was a long way off. After about 5 more minutes, i pulled out the owl call and hit a few times. 4 birds together less than 100yds all responded consecutively. My mind went blank with all the excitement.
My father and I walked down the road 40yds and went in on a fire break and set up on the edge of a food plot. We set up the decoys and loaded our guns and waited for daybreak. The birds would gobble about every 3 minutes and they were HOT. We heard the birds fly down, waited about 5 minutes, and began to call. They responded instantly. About 5 more minutes later i did a soft yelp and they gobbled less than 50 yards away. I just put the call down and waited.
The birds came in on a string. They began to strut, spit and drum, gobble, and attacked the decoy. My dad clcuked once and the largest bird stuck his head up for the last time. I fired once and the boss tom fell in his tracks. I threw the gun down and ran as fast as i could to my bird. After he quit twitching, i held him up. The sun glistened over his white head and fan. My quest was finally accomplished, my first turkey was down. After taking some pictures, we went home to show it off to my mom and uncles.
This was a memory and an expierence that will always hold an important place in my mind. That season was incredible. The following morning, we went back to the same spot and i got 2 more birds. 3 birds down in 2 days. That is one heck of a season in my opinion.

sman

Good story, sounds like a great season and an awesome spot to hunt!!!

ryanwhit

That's a good season for sure! I hope you have another one like it this year!!