cleaning your gun

tiretool

Does cleaning your barrel make your gun shoot a tighter pattern? I think i saw some threads on this last year, i can't see how it would make that big of a difference ....course i don't shoot enough to know, may clean mine real good(been about 5 years) and try patterning it again.

Jody Hawk

trkyhntr70 shoots more shells through turkey guns than anyone I know. Everytime I shoot with him, he runs a bore snake through the barrel after a few shots, sometimes between each shot. I trust that it does after seeing him do this so many times.

trkyhntr70

trkyhntr70 shoots more shells through turkey guns than anyone I know. Everytime I shoot with him, he runs a bore snake through the barrel after a few shots, sometimes between each shot. I trust that it does after seeing him do this so many times.

aww, come on Jody I dont shoot that much, the bore snake deffinately helps while shooting, but I also like to use a good stiff brush and a foaming bore cleaner then swab it out till it shines like a mirror.

Timber1

BANNED
Does cleaning your barrel make your gun shoot a tighter pattern? I think i saw some threads on this last year, i can't see how it would make that big of a difference ....course i don't shoot enough to know, may clean mine real good(been about 5 years) and try patterning it again.

You havn't cleaned your gun good in 5 years? Thats sacreligious right there. :smash:

Nitro

Banned
What he said........

Clean barrels do shoot better. I use the same method James does.

Bore Snakes merely "knock the dust out" they leave behind plenty of burnt powder and plastic wad residue that will only be removed by thorough scrubbing.

Be double sure to remove the Turkey choke tube and scrub it well- including the ports in the choke (if it has them).. re-lube the threads with anti-sieze or choke tube grease before reinstalling..

Have a great season!!!!!

Jody Hawk

aww, come on Jody I dont shoot that much.

Man, what you talking about? You could start a reloading business with all those hulls in the back of your truck !!!!!!!! :rofl: Hevishot and Indian Creek would probably go under if you quit turkey hunting !!!!!!!!!! ::ke:

Killdee

Go over to old gobbler and search deep cleaning and polishing your barrel. They claim the polishing can give you a 15%+ gain in your pattern. I have all the stuff on hand to polish mine now.

M Sharpe

I've got a buddy that hones the barrell with scotchbrite and then moly fuses it. Gets super patterns.

swamppirate

Tico tool..... hands down the best way to clean a barrel....

Attachments

• tico.jpg
    tico.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 324

Nitro

Banned
Tico tools are OK. You still aren't doing the level of cleaning that a bore brush, solvent and patches are capable of .

My Tico tools are used between rounds of clays or after a day of heavy use shooting ducks or other birds. You still have to clean thoroughly.....

Last edited:

Gadget

Tico tools are OK. You still aren't doing the level of cleaning that a bore brush, solvent and patches are capable of .

My Tico tools are used between rounds of clays or after a day of heavy use shooing ducks or other birds. You still have to clean thoroughly.....

Agreed, no way the tico cleans anywhere near what brush, solvent, and patches do.

Remington Bore bright works great

swamppirate

No doubt tico's are great for quick cleaning....for heavy stuff the tornado brush and hoppe's nitro solvent comes out....

Ricochet

Yeah, I missed the talk about cleaning your shotgun while patterning/shooting last year and I'm trying to train myself to that now. My 870 is clean and ready to go for tomorrow (SC opening day)! :)

mallardk

drill scotchbrite pads

Have a SBE II , that I have only used a Tico tool with. Decided I could do better , from help here, was told to use a scotchbrite cut to fit around a 20 guage bristle brush for my 12, put a few drops of oil on it and chucked it to my cordless drill, ran up and down for about 30 seconds and then ran tico tool down a few times, couldn't believe how much powder was on pad. It was shiny as a mirror when done.

goblr77

Have a SBE II , that I have only used a Tico tool with. Decided I could do better , from help here, was told to use a scotchbrite cut to fit around a 20 guage bristle brush for my 12, put a few drops of oil on it and chucked it to my cordless drill, ran up and down for about 30 seconds and then ran tico tool down a few times, couldn't believe how much powder was on pad. It was shiny as a mirror when done.

A simple cleaning with a bronze brush and patches would have done the same on a chrome lined barrel. They shine like a mirror anyway.

deerslayer357

Absolutely! It makes a huge difference! I, like you, didn't think it would make THAT big of a difference.

This year I shot a certain shell at 40 yards and got 229 in the 10" circle. After a good cleaning with a brush, patches, and Hoppe's 9 I took it back out (at the same temperature) and shot the same load at 40 yards and got 311 in the 10" circle.

A 30% difference from cleaning the barrel of a gun that hadn't even been shot all that much (50 rounds or so).