Evapo-Rust for barrel?

krizia829

Hello Everyone!

I brought out my Traditions Vortek last night to clean along with my husbands CVA Wolf. We have a quota hunt here in FL coming up soon. Guns have been put away for about 5 years or so.

The CVA wasn't bad but my lord was my barrel RUSTED!! No matter how much I passed the cleaning brush and dry patches, the patches all would come out full of rust! It felt never ending.

I must've spent an hour trying to clean my barrel and didn't see any progress. I put a light and just saw brown all the way down. I can still see the grooves perfectly. Threads on the breech are also rusted although the breech plug goes in and out smoothly.

Do you think Evapo-Rust will help solve the problem??

I also have some Kroil but I don't know what will work better..

Thank you!

frankwright

I think it would work.

I used it to fix a rusty gas tank on a pressure washer. I have used it on rusty tools and it does work.
You may have to leave it 24 hours to get it really clean.
A friend gave me a Lyman trade rifle that had been left loaded and it had rust and pitting but it actually shot just fine so I don't think it is that critical and shooting it might clean it up enough.

krizia829

I think it would work.

I used it to fix a rusty gas tank on a pressure washer. I have used it on rusty tools and it does work.
You may have to leave it 24 hours to get it really clean.
A friend gave me a Lyman trade rifle that had been left loaded and it had rust and pitting but it actually shot just fine so I don't think it is that critical and shooting it might clean it up enough.
How would I do it? Just plug one end of the barrel and pour it in while standing and fill to the top?? Never used it before

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
How would I do it? Just plug one end of the barrel and pour it in while standing and fill to the top?? Never used it before
Evapo-rust will remove the rust but I'd recommend polishing the barrel after using it to smooth out any pits left behind. I doubt you can remove them all but it can't hurt and might help. A fine polishing compound shouldn't hurt the rifling. Just use your own good judgement.

Big7

The Oracle
Naval Jelly is like a goo and will stick to anything without having to plug one end.

Look up this LocTite brand. They even advertise it for cleaning rusted guns. I did an old Mauser with the "generic" brand Naval Jelly from the paint store. It's cheap and works good.

LOCTITE Naval Jelly Removes rust from metal surfaces and removes bluing from surfaces such as guns, reels, etc. Remove loose scale with coarse sandpaper or wire brush. Apply Naval Jelly liberally to rusty surface that is free of dirt, oil and grease. Wipe off immediately from painted surfaces. Allow to work for 15 to 30 minutes and rinse off. Repeat application on heavily corroded surfaces. Limit application time to 5 minutes when used on chrome or other plated surfaces.
Brand
Loctite

krizia829

Naval Jelly is like a goo and will stick to anything without having to plug one end.

Look up this LocTite brand. They even advertise it for cleaning rusted guns. I did an old Mauser with the "generic" brand Naval Jelly from the paint store. It's cheap and works good.
Never heard of this product. I will check it out. Thanks!

krizia829

Evapo-rust will remove the rust but I'd recommend polishing the barrel after using it to smooth out any pits left behind. I doubt you can remove them all but it can't hurt and might help. A fine polishing compound shouldn't hurt the rifling. Just use your own good judgement.
The rust is honestly my main worry.. Doesn't have to be perfect but the more I can remove, the better I will feel about it

Big7

The Oracle
Never heard of this product. I will check it out. Thanks!
Naval Jelly is my go- to for anything rusty except cast iron.
Use it in intervals of 15 minutes as many rounds as it takes to get desired result.

The paint store version is as good as any. Naval jelly is naval jelly and the brand don't really matter.

flconch53

I word of caution any chemical rust remover will remove a slight amount of metal from the bore. This could change the aim point of the gun

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
This may sound a little wacky but shoot it a couple of times. Then bore brush and clean.I have had success with real rusty bores doing this.
I second this. It works better than anything else you can do or any product you can buy.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Many of those products that are harsh enough to remove rust chemically will also remove the blueing or whatever finish is on the outside of the gun also. Be very careful.

This is an excellent product to use that is safe on blueing and does a fantastic job inside bores. Pair it up with the Kroil and you'll be set.

krizia829

I word of caution any chemical rust remover will remove a slight amount of metal from the bore. This could change the aim point of the gun
That's actually not a huge issue for me since I changed the scope. I still need to sight it in. I'm thinking of eventually selling it cheap or give it to someone that wants it as a project gun or something and get a new one. Just need it to work this year lol

jglenn

I've used evapo rust many times to clean up a rusted bore. Works perfectly But will remove bluing so only in bore. I just plug the nipple or flash hole. Leave it overnight.

krizia829

I've used evapo rust many times to clean up a rusted bore. Works perfectly But will remove bluing so only in bore. I just plug the nipple or flash hole. Leave it overnight.
Awesome! I attempted the same thing with kroil but sitting for about an hour and it helped a ton. Didn't come out completely, but it helped clean it up a bunch. Enough to where I'm happy with it. I will try evapo-rust if it happens again though. Thank you!

B. White

I haven't used anything but Ballistol on everything for everything for about the past 8 years and haven't had any trouble compared to what I had years ago. This doesn't answer your initial question, but it is the best thing for the money I have found to keep from having the question in the first place.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
A mix of white vinegar and water works great for rust removal, but I'm not sure if that would affect the bluing. I've used it a lot on cast iron and my blackstone griddle.

Okie Hog

For many years i would get a dozen or more neglected muzzleloaders to rehab for deer season. Evapo Rust is the easiest method of removing rust and crud from the bore of a muzzleloader.

1. Plug the breech.
2. Stand the barrel breech down.
3. Fill the bore with Evapo Rust.
4. Let stand for 24 hours.
5. Pour out the Evapo Rust.
6. Clean the bore.
7. Polish the bore with Scotch Brite

Don't get the stuff on the bluing.