powder suggestions

common man

Just got a new breech plug ordered for my cva wolf planning to start using powder. I pretty much am planning to shoot the 385 grain conical. Just looking for sugggestions on powder and advantages of each. Kinda confused on what is the main shooting differance between 2f and 3f. And also if anyone suggests black powder where do I find it?

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
You probably won't find any real BP right now, nobody's making it in the US anymore...Hopefully there will be some more soon as the GOEX plant is supposed to crank up again under new owners.

Black Powder is the hands down winner, period, and don't let anyone tell you different.

The "F" refers to the cut of the powder. 1F is coarse (cannon), 4F is very fine (flintlock primer).

2-3F is most common, and used in .50-.54 rifles. Smaller the hole, finer the powder.

I would recommend you use Pyrodex, as the next best thing to BP. Usually easy to find, and works well.

Triple 7 is my next choice, behind Pyrodex.

Good luck!

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Grafs has a sell going on right now. Just bought five pounds of 3 f and had it delivered yesterday

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
So for a cva wolf would ya'll suggest 2F or 3f as far as particles size.

Either will work. Opinions vary on which is best. In theory you can reduce your charge volume a bit with 3F, say 5-10 grains and get the same performance.

I've never seen a tangible difference between the two, but I'm not a sho' nuff muzzle loader enthusiast.

No doubt someone will explain better...

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
I have no experience with in-lines but think the 3f would perform better being it’s a finer grade powder.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
If you're not going with real black powder, Pyrodex RS is about the next best thing for inlines and percussion rifles. I've shot a lot of it over the years.

White Horse

Genuine black powder in 3F is all I shoot, but understand that I only shoot traditional muzzleloaders, and mostly flintlocks.

I tried Pyrodex many years ago but found that it did not ignite as readily in my percussion Lyman Great Plains rifle. It also seemed dirtier than the real stuff to clean up.

I prime with 3F also. The use of a separate priming horn with 4F powder is a relatively modern idea.

common man

In my wolf I'm using federal 209A primers which I think run a little hot but based off what ya'll are saying I'm kinda leaning towards just getting the real thing or possibly the P version of Pyrodex which I would probably just start with a lighter load like 50-60 grains.

earlthegoat2

I use 3F in everything. 100gr 3F Black in my 58 cal cap lock. 90 3F T7 in my Omega and 100 gr 3F T7 in my Rem 700 ML 54 cal.

common man

So if I went with Pyrodex P to have the finer grade powder FFF do you think that would be safe in a 50 cal CVA wolf? I think my load is going to fall somewhere between 50-90 grains with that heavy 385 grain bullet.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
So if I went with Pyrodex P to have the finer grade powder FFF do you think that would be safe in a 50 cal CVA wolf? I think my load is going to fall somewhere between 50-90 grains with that heavy 385 grain bullet.

Absolutely safe.

Try a 70, 80, and 90gr by volume charge and settle in on the one your rifle groups the best.

The GP385 is Top Choice as well...(y)

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Figure this bullets nickname should be Georgia two holes. Whatever it hits in Georgia is gonna have two holes in it.

That and the TC Maxi Hunter is all I will use...Nothing, NOTHING, beats a big chunk of lead.

I recovered a GP385 once, from a front-on shot at a deer. Slug was lodged in the pelvis, and had flattened out to about the size of a quarter...

Don't let anyone talk you out of the GP385, either...;);)