Vol. Vrs Weighting Black Powder

Rabun Guy

Why is this a big problem with the muzzleloading community ? To me it is a simple concept to understand. F,FF,FFF,FFFF black powder granulations all weights are different if measured by volume . If I measure 60 grains of 1f BP by volume and then weight it on a scale the weight will be different if you measure out 4 F by volume and weight it on a scale there will a difference in weight in the 4F compared to 1F . I said all that to say this; If you are measuring your black powder charge by volume and getting good results then stick to measuring your charge but you could then put your charge on a scale and weigh it . You can, and then you have the true weight of your charge and then you will know what your charge by volume truly weights. If your 60 grains of 2F is 65 grains by volume then you know what your charge can be weighed on your scale. Not a complex idea to wrap your mind around. First use the Volume powder measurer and then there is no reason you can not use your scale to prepare your powder vials of pre shoot powder. Shoot straight Y'all

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
It isn't a problem for me and hasn't been a problem for BP shooters for centuries. We mostly measure by volume because it is an accurate way to measure powder and scales are way more burdensome than a volume measure in the field.

Loads can be worked up by volume just as easily as by weight it seems to me.

DAVE

Unless a person has OCD, I don't understand why they would worry about weight if they already know what works by volume and don't have to tinker with a scale. I am not an expert using black powder, so I may be missing something, if I am, someone teach me better. Now that I think of it I guess I could use a volume method with centerfire smokeless after finding what the right volume for the weight and powder I am using. I don't know why I haven't thought of that before.

Rabun Guy

It isn't a problem for me and hasn't been a problem for BP shooters for centuries. We mostly measure by volume because it is an accurate way to measure powder and scales are way more burdensome than a volume measure in the field.

Loads can be worked up by volume just as easily as by weight it seems to me.
Yes I agree.

earlthegoat2

Down to the thousandth accuracy just isn’t that important for measuring black powder.

As to measuring smokeless by volume, Lee dippers have been around for a good bit.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I have measured mine by volume for about 40 years now, and it's always worked fine for me. I don't give a flying rat's butt what it actually weighs, and why should I if it shoots the way I want?

woods&water

Having reloaded rifles, pistols, and shotguns for over 40 years I had to try weighing charges for ML to see if it made a difference. It made no difference at all. This was a long time ago and I havn't seen any need to try it again. Volume for me.

GregoryB.

I am with Woods & Water on this one. Last year I measured out some Blackhorn in my chargemaster since I was at the loading bench working on something else. Didn’t see a difference over using my volume powder gizmo.

trial&error

If using weight make sure you are measuring real black powder for the type you plan to shoot. the by volume is easier in the field and safe with substitutes. Go shoot some more it will all make sense.

Anvil Head

Unless a person has OCD, I don't understand why they would worry about weight if they already know what works by volume and don't have to tinker with a scale. I am not an expert using black powder, so I may be missing something, if I am, someone teach me better. Now that I think of it I guess I could use a volume method with centerfire smokeless after finding what the right volume for the weight and powder I am using. I don't know why I haven't thought of that before.
Powder Scoops (volumetric) have been around and used successfully both BP and Smokeless ever since explosive and propellent powders have existed. The big issue is knowing your powder and your loads.

01Foreman400

Staff member
I weigh my loads and have the charges pre-measured as needed. I may shoot 2-3 times a year so it’s not that hard to keep the tubes loaded for future use.1054BA81-4EAF-4421-A003-C8A70E85CF59.jpeg

Darkhorse

In the many years I've been a BP hunter and shooter I've tried it both ways on several occasions. There was never an appreciable amount of difference to justify weighing my powder.
Besides it's easy to hang a powder measure on a strap and not so easy to hang a larger measure of any kind.