Antique shotgun, blocked barrel?

rubicon_in_ga

I picked up an antique English side by side percussion muzzleloader at the Atlanta Gun Show last weekend. Going by the proof marks on the barrel, it was proofed at the Birmingham Proof House in England, likely made in the mid to late 1800s. Appears to be a lower end trade or market gun, no fancy accoutrements, and the only maker name I can find is "Miller" on both the left and right lock plates. I found one just like it on an auction site, in much better condition, and lets just say I paid too much for it, but still nothing that would break the bank.

So the issues are numerous. One nipple appears to be old but probably not original, the other is obviously a replica cap and ball revolver nipple. The wedge plates and wedge is missing. Numerous cracks and pseudo-repairs in the forearm. Several cracks between the lock plates in the stock. The hammers will still fall in the half cock position when the triggers are pulled. And while the seller tried to talk up the fact that it has the "original ramrod", about 6 inches of the rod were broken or cut off years ago, so it's functionally useless and will need to be replaced. So yeah. . . definitely needs work.

Since I know the gun needs work, and it's not worth much, I have no intention of trying to restore it to anything close to original, but I thought at least I could make it safe to shoot and perhaps use it for upland hunting. First thing's first, I wanted to check the barrels and make sure they were clear, and free of any major damage. Left barrel checks fine. Right barrel is obviously blocked by something. I filled it with hot soapy water, and nothing would come out the breech end with the nipples removed. I got one of my other ramrods out and checked the depth of the blockage, and it's right at the breech end of the barrel, but forward of the nipple. I tried a fouling scraper and a ball puller, and I was getting some very dark brown and black residue out with the puller screw, but not much. I'm wondering if it's black powder that was left in the barrel and has hardened over the years, or just massively fouled and created a complete blockage. Banging on it with the ramrod didn't seem to do much either. I let it soak in soapy water overnight and will try again when I get home tonight to see if that loosened it up.

Any ideas what it could be, or a safe way to clear it? I heard mention of using brass rod with the end flattened to a chisel, attached to a drill and slowly grind it out, but other than that, I'm not sure what to do. Definitely NOT going to put a cap on that barrel and try to blow it out. I just don't think that would be safe, especially if it is old black powder that has solidified over the years.

Worst case scenario, I got an expensive wall hanger, but I'd really like to get it shooting again if at all possible.

Hillbilly stalker

Pictures would be nice…..but it sounds like a Wall hanger. It would be risky to shoot even without the obstruction issues.

rubicon_in_ga

Pictures would be nice…..but it sounds like a Wall hanger. It would be risky to shoot even without the obstruction issues.
Working on some pics, I'll try to get them posted tomorrow.

Soaking the barrel in soapy water overnight did the trick. Looks like somebody left some very old black powder in the barrel and it solidified. Bounced the ramrod off the obstruction a few times and it all came out at once. I flushed the barrels with hot soapy water a couple times, scrubbed the inside of both barrels with an oiled cleaning brush, and dried them inside and out really good. There's some surface rust inside but nothing too bad Thankfully. A good oiling is coming next, and then I'm gonna figure out what the nipple thread size is so I can order some new ones from Track of the Wolf, along with new wedge plates, a new wedge pin, and a new ramrod. That'll take care of the missing parts, then it's on to stock repair.

You're right though, I think it will end up being a wall hanger for safety reasons. I may fire a few light charge blank loads just to know it's functional, but likely that's all the shooting it will see.