Fixing minor exterior barrel pitting

JR924

When shooting last week when it rained a little. Put my gun in the case and must have missed some moisture in the case. Took it out a week later and I had surface rust on the blued barrel. Inside barrel looks good. Most of the surface rust cleaned up nice with gun oil but do have some minor pitting underneath the barrel. Want to clean it up with fine steel wool but afraid the blueing will be damage. Any good ideas to clean it up some or should I just live and learn (always clean gun when I get home) and let it go.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety

JR924

When shooting last week when it rained a little. Put my gun in the case and must have missed some moisture in the case. Took it out a week later and I had surface rust on the blued barrel. Inside barrel looks good. Most of the surface rust cleaned up nice with gun oil but do have some minor pitting underneath the barrel. Want to clean it up with fine steel wool but afraid the blueing will be damage. Any good ideas to clean it up some or should I just live and learn (always clean gun when I get home) and let it go.
Looks good and cheap. Just ordered 2 bottles and 1 patch. No shipping cost. Thank you.