Bolt action question ?

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Here’s the one for our rifle.

That would be an acceptable way to clean that area IF the barreled action was out of the stock. All that solvent and sludge will make it's way into the trigger area and cause problems especially in colder weather. He needs to then clean his trigger with lighter fluid.

earlthegoat2

Here is additional information. I have an M77 Hawkeye that would fail to eject somewhat frequently even when pulling the bolt rearward smartly.

It turned out the spring loaded ejector would fail to come up properly in the groove of the bolt when the bolt was torqued a bit as you cycled it rearward. That is, the ejector would not spring itself into the groove but rather barely miss the groove and ride along the main bolt body as the bolt was pulled all the way back.

Unfortunately I did not take a proper before picture but here is a representation.

3267740D-840D-463F-92AA-11D412E3C899.jpeg

I am manually holding the ejector down in this picture but I hope it represents what is going on.

Unfortunately there is a bit of rotational slop in the bolt as it travels along the raceways. That combined with a slight amount of side to side slop of the ejector on its pivot and there was random but frequent enough failures to eject with the end result being similar to the picture above. The ejector would not be pushed up into the slot on the bolt but would ride just beside it. The spent cartridge casing was just being held by the extractor at the rearward extreme of the bolt cycle with no ejection.

My research on this has shown that it is a known occurrence and few mentions of if you push the bolt forward a half inch or so and then back again you will get a proper ejection. What is happening is you are putting the reverse torque direction on the bolt as it slips forward and this causes the ejector to spring upward into its proper position and thereby causing a proper ejection upon return to rear.

My fix was to bevel the ejector slot in the bolt as well as polish and slightly bevel the ejector where it rides along the bolt body and into the ejector slot on the bolt. Here is the modified bolt slot.

75513EA1-1482-48B6-87F2-F38ACE0B3E4C.jpeg3ECDC86D-9165-42DA-9908-01A42D23D5DE.jpeg

If there was less slop in the bolt as it is retracted and less side to side slop in the ejector then this problem may not happen as often.

Another possible fix could be to shim the ejector in its pivot with a thrust bushing towards the direction it would need to go to reliably engage the ejector slot in the bolt.

This is a product of a deviation from the more traditional Mauser design which has a fixed ejector that continuously rides in a full length of bolt travel slot in the Mauser bolt. The slot goes clear through one of the locking lugs even. Ruger (and maybe a few others before them. I know Win 70s also don’t run through the lug) thought they could, theoretically at least, increase the strength of lockup by eliminating the slot in the locking lug but had to come up with a different design to mount the ejector in a different location other than on the bolt release like a Mauser.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Thanks everyone , I got it completely took apart and cleaned . Fired a few rounds through it , all works fine . Just need a couple unlucky deer to step out this week for further testing:rockon:

flconch53

I am just scratching my head about I don't unload the gun during the season. MYbe not every day but certainly after you have been out in bad weather.

Para Bellum

Mouth For War
Copper fouling is tough stuff.

furtaker

I am just scratching my head about I don't unload the gun during the season. MYbe not every day but certainly after you have been out in bad weather.
Yeah I was taught way differently about firearm safety. I don't want to be around some folks with a gun.