Crazy stunts at the gun range.

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
Mine ain't too bad

Big7

The Oracle
Here's mine from just yesterday. Almost afraid to ask, but what's yours?
1)Had some members who were wanting to set up targets downrange. Everyone declared "Range Cold" , even the guy beside me who still had his mag in his AR 10 and one in the chamber pointed down range. I halted the people from going down range and called them back then I politely told him he needed to remove the mag, clear the chamber and leave his bolt back.
2) Family member of aforementioned shooter had a misfire on his Glock and proceeded to look down the barrel before clearing the pistol. Same family member later had a jam in his Mini-14 and proceeded to wave it down the firing line on the left and right all the while attempting to clear it with the mag still in it.
3) Same family shooting my 25 yard target and was completely baffled why they couldn't get their AR-10 on paper ......at 25 yards. Finally the Sr. member took his Mini 14 and emptied the 30 round mag from a standing position into the target. Afterward he said to the the rest of the family, "Look. Every shot through the same hole."

It got to the point I just left the line and walked to my car until they had quit.
I've seen some quirky stuff, but yesterday took the cake. How someone hasn't been killed at public ranges is a miracle.
That will get you kicked out at Clybel.

You have to even case and uncase with the muzzle pointing down range.

At no time can you be waiving a muzzle around even if the bolt is back and a chamber flag is inserted.

They have at least 5 Range Safety Officers at all times not counting check in. 1 each on pistol, rifle and shotgun and 2 floaters.
If a group is shooting shotgun, the floaters go up there.

krizia829

1)Had some members who were wanting to set up targets downrange. Everyone declared "Range Cold" , even the guy beside me who still had his mag in his AR 10 and one in the chamber pointed down range. I halted the people from going down range and called them back then I politely told him he needed to remove the mag, clear the chamber and leave his bolt back.
2) Family member of aforementioned shooter had a misfire on his Glock and proceeded to look down the barrel before clearing the pistol. Same family member later had a jam in his Mini-14 and proceeded to wave it down the firing line on the left and right all the while attempting to clear it with the mag still in it.
3) Same family shooting my 25 yard target and was completely baffled why they couldn't get their AR-10 on paper ......at 25 yards. Finally the Sr. member took his Mini 14 and emptied the 30 round mag from a standing position into the target. Afterward he said to the the rest of the family, "Look. Every shot through the same hole."

It got to the point I just left the line and walked to my car until they had quit.
I've seen some quirky stuff, but yesterday took the cake. How someone hasn't been killed at public ranges is a miracle.
You should see the ones that come to our local range here in south FL. One of the many reasons I don't go on the weekends anymore!!

Let's just say they make me feel embarrassed to be of hispanic background because they're the ones doing all the crazy stupid things!!

You have no idea how many "Cuban Navy Seals" come to this range and "South American Snipers" as well. They can't even keep their shots inside the black. Gun jams about every other round, hit neighbors targets, etc.

You will find the guy dressed in full military camo using chest mag carrier and helmet (obviously not military), the cowboy, etc. It's quite funny the things you see there lol

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
Back in the day there was a gun shop/indoor range in Wichita that was a converted old bowling alley.
Had the electric target retrieval cables.
It was nice shooting there when it was -10 outside.

natureman

That is why I prefer a supervised range like the DNR one at Wilson Shoals.

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
Not much better at a private gun club I’m a member of. The range officers are pretty strict but they can’t watch everybody all the time

Baroque Brass

Ranges at Oakfield in Thomasville is supervised with range officers, I was one for about two years. It’s well run and as safe as it can be for a gun range. Worst thing that happened when I worked there was an accidental discharge. The crazies that shouldn’t have a gun are watched carefully, some have been asked to leave and a few have been told to not return.

Toliver

I guess the worst I saw at a gun range was a suicide. Rented a gun bought 2 boxes of bullets but only used the 1 .45 round he put through his own chest. I didn't see it; just had to write the report and help remove him.

• Sad
Reactions: Dub

oldfella1962

I guess the worst I saw at a gun range was a suicide. Rented a gun bought 2 boxes of bullets but only used the 1 .45 round he put through his own chest. I didn't see it; just had to write the report and help remove him.
:( I can't imagine - if any other shooters were at the range when he did this - how traumatized they were. When I was 8 or 9 my own grandfather purposely shot himself (he survived with no long-term serious effects) about ten or fifteen feet from me.

ucfireman

I was looking at a Henry rifle at BPS, Of course the action was zip tied. I asked if I could possibly work the action to compare to my Marlin as I have heard the Henry action is "smoother".
I was told no gun could have the action worked as they had a person a few years ago come in and put a bullet in a gun and shoot theirself.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Dirt pile packed down with bobcat running back and forth to do the packing. Core of packed dirt three foot thick by twelve foot wide by ten foot high with two eight foot wing built the same way. In front there’s a stack of sand with loose dirt between the sand and packed dirt. May be overkill but all the material was free and on hand.

Lukikus2

I shoot at a public range. No supervision posted as you enter. Most times there are folks that know correct gun handling, hot, cold and where you should keep your muzzle pointed. I have seen the whole group of shooters oust someone out and voluntarily left because I felt unsafe.

huntfish

Please tell me this wasn't at Wilson Shoals.....

I was looking at a Henry rifle at BPS, Of course the action was zip tied. I asked if I could possibly work the action to compare to my Marlin as I have heard the Henry action is "smoother".
I was told no gun could have the action worked as they had a person a few years ago come in and put a bullet in a gun and shoot theirself.
When I was worked at BPS, I set up the display guns. They use cheap trigger guards that sometimes you actually have to depress the trigger to make them fit. I watched in horror as a BPS employee was demonstrating how you could put 3 x 2.75 inch shells in the tube of a Benelli and then proceeded to work the bolt. Luckily, that trigger wasn't depressed underneath that trigger guard or he would have sent 3 rounds.

Dr. Strangelove

When I was worked at BPS, I set up the display guns. They use cheap trigger guards that sometimes you actually have to depress the trigger to make them fit. I watched in horror as a BPS employee was demonstrating how you could put 3 x 2.75 inch shells in the tube of a Benelli and then proceeded to work the bolt. Luckily, that trigger wasn't depressed underneath that trigger guard or he would have sent 3 rounds.
Loading a firearm on the sales floor? That employee should have been fired minimum, possibly shot.