Crazy stunts at the gun range.

sprewett

I guess the worst I saw at a gun range was a suicide. Rented a gun bought 2 boxes of bullets but only used the 1 .45 round he put through his own chest. I didn't see it; just had to write the report and help remove him.
Did you work at Appalachian guns in Jasper? If so my best friends son worked there and was off that day thank goodness.

Toliver

Did you work at Appalachian guns in Jasper? If so my best friends son worked there and was off that day thank goodness.
No. This was a place that used to be on Austell Rd at Windy Hill Rd. It was around 20 years ago.

Dr. Strangelove

20+ years military - theoretically every member of every branch has at least the basics of weapon safety under their belt - but reality says otherwise. :(
You got that right. I was a member of a private range for a number of years, it was self-policing and at the time we had no cameras, at least not on the ranges.

The members we had the most problems with? Law enforcement and recent ex-military. They just refused to follow the rules because "they were professionals".

Yeah, that's why they're duel wielding 1911's on the rifle range from in front of the shooting benches (not even allowed on the pistol range, much less the rifle range) destroying target stands with shotgun rounds or chalk grenades, etc.

If called out, they refused to listen, because "we're LE". I got hit in the neck by a ricochet off a steel plate from some idiot cop shooting at a 45 degree angle after I asked him stop and explained why.

Guy showed up to his checkout to become a member with a full auto rifle.

They have cameras now that have reduced the amount of shenanigans but I'm no longer a member.

Darkhorse

I'm glad this post got started, it gives me another chance to rant!
I was a regular at Ocmulgee WMA range ever since it was built, I had seen some things but learned when to go to avoid those idiots.
So several years go by and I had a knee replacement. Getting stir crazy I decided to go and test some loads early one weekday morning. Wait. Let me back up and set the stage.....The range had always had good range officers including a close friend of mine who had recently retired....then they hired a new one. An obnoxious fat loudmouth who thought he knew everything and told everybody so often. But he didn't know much of anything about guns or range safety. From the start we didn't get along to well.
Then he aggravated my friend so bad he just quit and he was one of the best RO's we ever had. A month later all the good RO's were gone.
So that morning when I pulled into the parking lot I saw big mouths truck right off:cry:.
There were 2 shooters there already, one had taken the last bench on the left. The other had the last one on the right. I took one in the center and after a few trips had all my gear set up and ready. When the range was called Cold I got the ranges staple gun from the shooter on the right and proceeded to hobble down to set my targets on a cane. Of course it was taking me longer and both the guys were done while I was still downrange with my back to the firing range.
Then I heard a shot and a bullet hit the berm just to my right. I felt sick, dropped the cane and hit the dirt. Then another shot. By this time the shooter on the far end who was retired army, was shouting at the top of his lungs for the shooter to stop shooting.
Now I was mad. Really mad. I got up and started back as fast as I could, surprised to see the guy just throwing his gear in the back of his jeep. The big mouth came out of his trailer and another RO who had been at the pistol range also showed up. The shooter told them the range was hot and I had went down anyway. Then got in his jeep and peeled out of there.
When I finally got back I never got a chance to explain because both RO's jumped down my throat, even threatening me with legal action. They told me and the army guy that we were acting like children and we had to do a better job of policing ourselves.
And big mouth went back into his air conditioned trailer. We didn't see him again. I tried to shoot but was too upset so I left. And I haven't been back. Instead I started improving my home range.
This was several years ago but the experience was so intense it still gets me very hot under the collar.
It's a wonder someone isn't killed at one of our public ranges.