Bolt action question ?

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Ok so I’ve got a stainless Ruger m77 7mm . I’ve had it for about 30 years , toughest gun made as far as I’m concerned . I’ve never abused it but it’s for sure been used . I usually clean at end of deer season and never unload it until after season . I recently hunted a full week in rain and miserable weather. I know I should have at least unloaded it and wiped it down but didn’t . It sat in cabinet a few days and the next time I went to go hunting I do like I always do and half open bolt to make sure it’s loaded . The bolt was really stiff and wouldn’t eject bullet . I was in a hurry so I just grabbed another rifle and sprayed some gun oil down the barrel and let it sit . After a day it still wouldn’t open and I pretty much forced it open and pulled the brass off the bullet . Left the bullet in barrel . Got it removed and it was green I guess from being damp and just seized up in barrel . Got it cleaned up and I haven’t shot it yet but I put a round in it and when I open bolt it want kick bullet out . It just stays on bolt , but easily removed with one finger . Did I damage something on the bolt ? Thanks

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
You need to get the corrosion and “gunk” out of the extractor and ejector.

antharper

Staff member
Check the Extractor lever there’s a spring with it. The bolt may need cleaning and the barrel and chamber also. The spring is gabbing up. Need to do the same with the firing pin spring.
Do not ask me how I know. :)
I had already cleaned the barrel and complete gun pretty good . After watching @Ruger#3 video I removed bolt . Don’t think mine has a pen like the one in video . I cleaned it good and got it dripping with oil . Will report back in a few DC4F0232-3286-49D3-80BD-16579C785B97.jpeg

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
Where that slot is on the bottom. Does that pin slide in and out as u work the bolt. That’s what ejects the shell.

bullgator

Extractor, ejector, and firing pin all need to be cleaned of gunk and possible surface rust. The same will be necessary for the chamber and barrel. If it’s a wood stock, that will need attention too. That’s to nice a rifle not to give it full attention.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Here’s the one for our rifle.

antharper

Staff member
Here’s the one for our rifle.

Thanks ruger , I didn’t use the brush but the little spring loaded thing was still dirty , works perfectly now . When I pulled casing off bullet it filled gun with powder and it was full of oil so it all stuck

Jester896

Senior Clown
the whole thing needs to be GON over and cleaned good. You just relieved 1 of the symptoms...no ejection. By pouring oil down the barrel you left yourself open to oil getting into the trigger and other places it may not need to be...then added the powder to it. It probably needs to come out of the stock to clean.

Ruger is a controlled feed type action and should be loaded from the magazine if possible rather than dropping a bullet into the action and closing the bolt.

Last edited:

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
the whole thing needs to be GON over and cleaned good. You just relieved 1 of the symptoms...no ejection. By pouring oil down the barrel you left yourself open to oil getting into the trigger and other places it may not need to be...then added the powder to it. It probably needs to come out of the stock to clean.

Ruger is a controlled push feed type action and should be loaded from the magazine if possible rather than dropping a bullet into the action and closing the bolt.
It may be an all weather gun but I go over mine pretty thorough after getting it wet.

antharper

Staff member

Ruger is a controlled push feed type action and should be loaded from the magazine if possible rather than dropping a bullet into the action and closing the bolt.
Thanks , and why should it be loaded that way . I’ve dropped one in and held the ones in magazine down while closing bolt forever . Actually about the only way it’s ever been loaded .

Jester896

Senior Clown
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

antharper

Staff member
Thanks @Jester896 , never too old to learn something new . Still puzzles me that I’ve never had an issue that I’ve noticed . But I do admit a lot of people know more about guns than me .

antharper

Staff member
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
If I understood that correctly he said it wouldn’t work ! I’m not talking 10-15 times . I’ve used this gun for 30 years

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
I had to replace the claw extractor on a M77 due to losing it's tension most likely from the previous owner single loading rounds. Metal is peculiar. It may take a Ten thousand single feeds or 100 before the steel loses enough elasticity and cannot grasp the cartridge properly anymore. The claw extractor is incredibly simple to replace. Takes about 30 seconds.

Regarding the ejector..Ruger doesn't use a spring loaded plunger to eject a cartridge instead they use that fixed blade as shown in the pics above. It rides in a slot in the bolt. The force used to pull the bolt back dictates how hard the cartridge will be ejected. Slow and light and the case may just lay inside the action. Rip it back hard and the case will be ejected with force a few feet away.

For darn sure though everything needs to be cleaned and lightly lubed. Use lighter fluid to clean and lube the trigger mechanism.

Last edited:

earlthegoat2

The M77 “can” be single loaded. CRF rifles really “should” be chambered from the magazine.

Some custom rifle builders specifically modify the claw extractor so it can be single fed straight to the chamber but it is still a better idea to load from the mag when it is possible to.

Old Mausers without extractor modification may only load from the magazine depending on the individual rifle.