when its hard to get bullet down

common man

I really like the 385 grain bullet but it is really hard to get down the barrel on my cva wolf. These come pre lubed. Does putting a little extra lube on it affect accuracy etc? Was thinking about using a little extra lube on bullet next time out.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Is it hard to start or hard all the way till it seats ?

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
If the "lube" has gotten dry and crusty on the bullets, I've had them be a little aggravating to shove.

My answer is to mist the crusty bullets with Rem-oil...Works for me. I've got GP385s that are about 10 years old, and they get pretty dried out...

I've also wiped a little bore butter on em', but a light spray is much easier..

Hillbilly stalker

You guys need to get you a “ Short starter”. It will save you a lot of trouble and keep you from snapping your ramrod. It’s a couple simple little steps that take about 3 seconds. This one is made like a “T”, but I also gave a couple that are round. You turn the wooden handle upright, hit it with your palm, then put the shank end on the bullet and it will seat the bullet about 4 inches. That will size the bullet to your specific bore in your rifle and then they will push pretty easy.They are newer plastic ones that look more modern.image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

earlthegoat2

You guys need to get you a “ Short starter”. It will save you a lot of trouble and keep you from snapping your ramrod. It’s a couple simple little steps that take about 3 seconds. This one is made like a “T”, but I also gave a couple that are round. You turn the wooden handle upright, hit it with your palm, then put the shank end on the bullet and it will seat the bullet about 4 inches. That will size the bullet to your specific bore in your rifle and then they will push pretty easy.They are newer plastic ones that look more modern.View attachment 1196881View attachment 1196882View attachment 1196883

Huh? I thought everyone used those.

But yeah. If not. Get one.

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
A smear of bore butter or patch lube will usually do it and I've never noticed it causing a problem.

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
Bore Butter for me. But I put a little on a patch and swab the entire barrel down. Not real heavy...

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
starter then the ramrod
A little trick you can use after you shoot a few times and find the barrel getting tight is to keep a little 70% rubbing alcohol or windex (no vinegar based!) in a tiny spray bottle. You can use it to run a wet patch down the barrel.

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
Just my two cents worth, Crisco the saturated fat cooking grease is a very good Bullet lube. It was used by the early modern muzzle loaders. It still works good. Before Bore Butter it was. Put some in an old empty caps tin and put it in your shooting bag, no one has to know. Call it Polar Bear fat if it makes you feel better.