Bought my first kayak! Look out fish!!!

Apex Predator

I have been researching fishing kayaks for a while now. I paddled quite a few in the process. I was sold on the new Jackson Coosa for river/pond fishing. I then decided that much of the water that I wanted to fish may not be best suited for the Coosa. I want to fish beyond the beach for tarpon/sharks/triple tail. I also wanted a boat that I could camp out of. I found a slightly used Malibu Stealth 14, and jumped on it. It's capacity rating is 550# vs the 375# of the Coosa. That's a lot of camping/hunting gear! I have all the supplies coming to pumb the bait well, which I really wanted. I also bought my wife a new Perception Pescador 12. Here they are!

NewKayaks1.jpg

NewKayaks2.jpg

NewKayaks6.jpg

NewKayaks3.jpg

NewKayaks5.jpg

NewKayaks4.jpg

Wishin I was Fishin

Awesome! You'll never look back, and that stealth looks really good!

On another note, i'm glad to see another perception that came with that single rear flush rod holder like mine did. I'm just not sure why they do that, but if you want a matching one you are more than welcome to the one that I removed.

crackerdave

Lookin' good, AP!:cool:

You are blessed,to have a wife who wants to 'yak with you.

I see you're in Brunswick - I sure would like to get a Woody's saltwater get-together goin' ! Maybe this summer,when the kings and the tarpon are running near the beach? A 100 pound tarpon in a kayak would be the thrill of a lifetime,for me!:D

ZachYak

Like I said on GKF, ya dun good! Get 'em slimed!

markland

Looking good Marty and glad you finally found what you were looking for. Also noticed the empty spot under the carport, guess you got rid of that as well?

Apex Predator

Yep, by beloved Carolina Skiff is gone. I will miss her, and probably buy another some day. For now, I'm excited about fishing again!

markland

I hear ya buddy, good luck with the new sport and don't let it interfere too much with the pig chasing though!

Randy

Welcome to the best sport in the world.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
AWESOME buddy!!! We have got to get a trip up. My wife is wanting one now so I am thinking of getting her one I can borrow from her to hit the surf with when she doesn't want to go. Soo sorry about the skiff. There will be another, SO WE CAN HAUL OUR YAKS OUT A LITTLE FURTHER in the stream or island hopping!

Apex Predator

Slimed this one proper yesterday afternoon. My brother has a 3 acre pond that he manages very well for bass. Figured it would be a good "first" test spot. I caught 8 bass in the first hour! They averaged close to 3#. Smallest was 13" and the largest was close to 18". I forgot my camera though! I'm gonna try saltwater tomorrow. Wish me luck. This full moon has muddied up the water some.

56willysnut

awesome

Best part of the whole purchase is there isn't a fuel filler neck in sight!! That alone will save you a bunch of money.

7 point

nice yak youll have A blast show some pics of your first catch out of it.

Apex Predator

I will Greg!

Here is a full weekend report.

I've had mine one week, and took it out Sat, Sun, and Mon! Bass fishing on a 3 acre pond first to get the feel of it. Second trip to a larger pond, and then Monday into the intercoastal waterway behind Jekyll Isl. The full moon spring tide was high and I was searching for some tailing reds, but didn't find any. I ended up heading for the jetties 3.8 miles away. Once at the jetties I turned back towards the ramp and paddled against an out-going current and 10-15 quartering wind for the first two miles. After that the tide reversed to help me the last half towards St Andrews sound. I made the return trip in one hour flat! I was going pretty hard though! This is my first yak, and let me tell you, I love this boat! She is very stable, even with large yacht/barge wakes in the ICW. I had no water in the hull, but took no big water over the deck. I weigh 245#, and had no standing water above the scuppers. I feel that she is fast, stable, and tracks well. The only other kayaks I've been in were at the store demo lake before buying.

markland

Sounds like you picked a winner Marty and enjoy your adventures!!