Boat, Kayak and surf fishing Jekyll Island in early August

Vafisher

We come to Jekyll Island about 3 weeks a year. We kayak fish, surf fish and one week a year we also bring our boat and will fish out in the sound or in front of Cumberland. when we take the boat out we catch our own bait. We will be there the 1st week of August with the kayaks and boats.

As for Kayak fishing, we usually fish the creeks near the boat landing and the bridge. For the most part we seem to have the most success fishing the bridge at high incoming or high outgoing. We seem to have the best luck in the creeks at real low outgoing or real low incoming. We almost always fish live shrimp. Does this seem right to you guys? We are for sure willing to go other places with the kayaks.

As for the boat we catch our own bait out near Cumberland and anchor somewhere out there. We pretty much catch only sharks. I would love to get a Tarpon to the boat. I am the only one in the family that hasn't caught one. I think that in front on Cumberland is a good place to anchor to try and catch Tarpon. If there is some other places as good or better, please let me know.

We are kind of wanting to try some different stuff on the boat if the weather and water cooperate. I had looked at fishing the A reef as one possibility. Is the fishing there good in late July or early August? If so, what should the target be?

I know that this is probably a no, but does anyone troll at all near Jekyll? We troll the Chesapeake Bay all the time in our normal fishing in Virginia.

Btw, our boat is a 23' Trophy Pro with a brand new Pro XS 4 stroke.

Thanks for any answers and recommendations.

Vafisher

Does anybody fish the A reef? What would be the target there in early August? Should we target another reef?