8th Annual Surf Redfish Tournament-Tybee Island

Fatback1

Hey all, who's planning on doing this years Tybee Redfish tournament? First place last year got $10,000.00!

This year will make my sixth try at it. I won third place several years back and I got the bluefish Calcutta one year, so I'm ahead money wise.

This year, like last year its going to be held the first weekend in October. I don't like the dates because I feel like its to early. I have surf fished Tybee for over two decades and generally speaking, the peak time for the big Redfish in the surf is around the 3rd week of October, give or take. Anyway, the weather is usually super nice first of October. Maybe we get a couple of strong cold fronts come through in the next few weeks and get the water temp down?

For those that don't know about it, the tournament is a ton of fun. Being on the beach with a few hundred like minded guys, having fun and trying to catch fish. Looking left and then right, down the beach and seeing nothing but rods all the way in each direction is pretty cool!
Way better than hangin' out at the house with the women folk doing something stupid like chores, just so you can watch the game later!
Besides GA will be 5-0 facing Kentucky that Saturday, Go Dawgs!

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Dang, as much as we used to surf and pier fish over there back in the day, I had no idea that something lile this was going on!

8th year, huh...

Prolly been at least that since I was at Tybee.

Glad to hear that there is still some surf fishing interest. It sounds like a good time.

Fatback1

Dang, as much as we used to surf and pier fish over there back in the day, I had no idea that something lile this was going on!

8th year, huh...

Prolly been at least that since I was at Tybee.

Glad to hear that there is still some surf fishing interest. It sounds like a good time.
Well howdy do brother Rob! Yes its been long while. If I remember right, you went and gave up chasing Bull Reds in the fall and went back to chasing Bucks instead?

Yea, this thing started off kind of small with a beer induced idea and a little motivation.
My first tournament was year three and there was like maybe 80 entries? Last year there was over 300 entries and winner got 10K. There are plenty of local guys, but a bunch of folks come from neighboring states as well. The tournament zone goes from the north beach jetties all the way down to around 4th street.
Meet up at Hucapoos each evening for raffles, awards and fellowship. Lots of raffle stuff and swag. Some of which is pretty awesome, like custom rods and such.

Year number six there were over a hundred fish landed. There have even been Tarpon landed, hooked, and of course lost, along with the usual assortment of sharks.

The Bluefish Calcutta pot gets pretty big to, 2K or so. The year I won it, I think year four, I got $800 for a 16" fish (measured at TL, not FL for some reason).

Rob, if I remember right, you should dust off the ol' St Croix mojo surf rod and oil up that Penn 525 and give it a go?

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Well howdy do brother Rob! Yes its been long while. If I remember right, you went and gave up chasing Bull Reds in the fall and went back to chasing Bucks instead?

Yea, this thing started off kind of small with a beer induced idea and a little motivation.
My first tournament was year three and there was like maybe 80 entries? Last year there was over 300 entries and winner got 10K. There are plenty of local guys, but a bunch of folks come from neighboring states as well. The tournament zone goes from the north beach jetties all the way down to around 4th street.
Meet up at Hucapoos each evening for raffles, awards and fellowship. Lots of raffle stuff and swag. Some of which is pretty awesome, like custom rods and such.

Year number six there were over a hundred fish landed. There have even been Tarpon landed, hooked, and of course lost, along with the usual assortment of sharks.

The Bluefish Calcutta pot gets pretty big to, 2K or so. The year I won it, I think year four, I got $800 for a 16" fish (measured at TL, not FL for some reason).

Rob, if I remember right, you should dust off the ol' St Croix mojo surf rod and oil up that Penn 525 and give it a go?

Man...

You got a fine memory! I do still have the Mojo surf rods and 525s. And all the rest of the gear. It is all quite dusty, as well.

My grandboys are getting about big enough to haul the cart, so we might hit up The Soccer Complex this fall if deer and squirrel hunting allows!!!

Fatback1

Man...

You got a fine memory! I do still have the Mojo surf rods and 525s. And all the rest of the gear. It is all quite dusty, as well.

My grandboys are getting about big enough to haul the cart, so we might hit up The Soccer Complex this fall if deer and squirrel hunting allows!!!

Yea man, let them young'uns haul the gear and do all the heavy lifting and Grandpa will bring the skills and knowledge!
Tell um' bout how grandpa would always catch more fish than everybody else, why, cuz he didn't fiddle around with crap, he just spent the whole time fishing, remember?

Dust off that gear and show them young'uns how the ol' man used to get it done back when.
It would only take landing one of those beat up big ol' soccer complex Bull Reds to burn that memory in um' and get um' hooked, right? Not to mention a fat headed lemon.

Back on topic: I think there are hotel discounts for those wanting to stay on Tybee and its Pirates Fest weekend for the none fishing family members, just saying.
Anybody on this forum planning on entering?