Jekyll Shrimping and Surf Fishing

Joel

I've been fishing the gulf most of my life and never given the Georgia coast much time. I'm looking to change that. I'm taking my wife and boys to Jekyll for a week the second week in October and want to surf fish for reds and I'm thinking about getting a seine for some shrimp. I've never tried seining but it looks like it'd be a blast for me and my son. Before I spend the money for a seine, is it something I could do not having any experience or anybody to show us what to do? From what I've read, we're going at the prime time to catch some shrimp. Of course, I'll be taking my surf rods for fishing during the day. Any body got any tips for seining or fishing they want to share? Feel free to PM me if you'd rather.
Appreciate any help!

cuda67bnl

I haven’t seined. But I’ve watched videos. Seems easy enough. You’re just pulling a net in neck deep water while gators, sharks, dolphins, and other critters swim beside you and get hung in your net…….?

I was gonna buy a seine, but don’t have anyone to help me do it. I also decided I have no interest in being the deep end guy. Unless you plan to do it a lot, I don’t think the cost of a good net is worth spending for one trip.

crackerdave

We used to have a 150' net,and it took the whole family plus some bystanders to pull it.Being strong and tall,I usually was the deep man,and it was a struggle making headway while keeping the pole on the bottom.

When the mullet were running,we could get a truck full.The mesh was too big for shrimp,but we sure got a variety of fish.

Last edited:

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
It takes several folks to run a seine, and the dolphins around Jekyll know exactly what it's all about, and will aggravate you no end... ?

You'll need a couple people outside the pull to try and keep them run off... ?

You'll also have a bunch of weed to contend with.

I have spent a TON of time surf fishing at Jekyll, and cast netting. Seining is something that me and my bunch tried a few times, and even with a small 50 foot net was more hassle than it was worth.

If the shrimp and mullet are in thick enough, you can easily get a good haul with a cast net..

October is a great time, most of the tourists are gone, and the big Redfish are there. Big mullet and whiting, too.

My suggestion would be to concentrate on the fishing, and use some cast nets to get bait, and see what the boys can catch.

They will have a blast with a little 3-4 foot net, and they are easy to throw.

Good luck and have fun!

crackerdave

Where we seined,there was no weeds or dolphins to contend with..just current.It was near Ponta Vedra,Florida.
The Ga. coast is much different.

Railroader's got good advice.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I’ve done the seining several times about 25 years ago . We done it at night , and no way on earth I’d consider doing what we did now . We did catch a lot of shrimp and mullet . I can’t really remember but I think we were on Jekyll .

I have a 75' seine I bought from Pops about 5-6 years ago. 2 people on the seine and a couple of buddies to switch out with it's a lot of fun. Mostly pulled the seine at night at Saint Andrews on Jekyll and on Osabaw. Late Sept til the water gets to cold to be are good. Getting your limit can be done in a few pulls if they are running.

Joel

Thank you for responses everybody. We finalized the trip and will be there mid October. Should be hitting it good. I think we'll try seining while we're there. Talked to some folks and they said it was a blast for the family. Plus, if I can fill up a 48 qt cooler with some shrimps, that'll be even better! I'll have all my surf rods out during the day. Would love to catch some bulls or go find some flounder too.

Joel

I have a 75' seine I bought from Pops about 5-6 years ago. 2 people on the seine and a couple of buddies to switch out with it's a lot of fun. Mostly pulled the seine at night at Saint Andrews on Jekyll and on Osabaw. Late Sept til the water gets to cold to be are good. Getting your limit can be done in a few pulls if they are running.

Do yall seine on the ocean or sound side of St. Andrews? I'm assuming from what I've seen most folks are on the sound side but I could be wrong .

bnew17

I have seined at St Andrews a handful of times using one of "Pops" nets. We went the 2nd weekend of the season this year and did not fare too well. Maybe it was too early? There were several groups of people fishing that we had to work around that made it a little difficult. It is not for the faint of heart for sure, especially being the deep man. I had several things "bump" against me. One of the fishermen reeled in about a 6ft shark while we were out there.

Blackston

Pulling on Ossabaw would be a blast I bet !!! I know it’s the same water but there’s something about bein on a beach ya can’t drive too