Bay Boat: Key West vs Pathfinder vs Other???

marlin

I have 2004 22ft pathfinder. As far as ride in rough water not the best but not terrible with trim tabs. For fishing the inter coastal waters getting into shallow water to fish and family beach days pathfinder. I have fished in a 21 keywest bay reef the ride not a lot better than the pathfinder.

ssramage

look into Tidewater and Scout boats also.

I believe scrammage had a scout for awhile.

Yep, I had a 17' Scout for a while and really enjoyed that boat. I have the 22' Bayscout in my considerations as well as their Sportfish models in 21-23'. The Sportfish likely wouldn't be as good for skinny water, but does offer higher gunnels to keep kids contained.

Last edited:

menhadenman

I'm still poking around @ssramage. So far I've noodled on the idea of these:

ALK2 22CRS
Key West 189 FS
Carolina Skiff 19 LS

The Key West sure is nice, ALK2 has a good price tag, but I've spent more time on Carolina Skiffs over the years. Not sure if I'll pull the trigger since our current boat is still functional... but boy it'd be nice to have something newer (and wife not complaining about me working on the boat).

ssramage

ALK2 22CRS
Key West 189 FS
Carolina Skiff 19 LS

The Key West sure is nice, ALK2 has a good price tag, but I've spent more time on Carolina Skiffs over the years. Not sure if I'll pull the trigger since our current boat is still functional... but boy it'd be nice to have something newer (and wife not complaining about me working on the boat).

From what I've seen, at least in the used market, boats are sitting right now. Hopefully that means there are deals to be had!

I've got a couple things that need to fall in place (hopefully this week) and then I'm going to get serious about finding something. Leaning strongly towards a couple of Pathfinder 2200s that I've got my eye on, but there's a few others I've been watching as well. I'm going to be patient (as much as I can be) and look for the right boat.

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.

ALK2 22CRS
Key West 189 FS
Carolina Skiff 19 LS

A Carolina skiff will beat your teeth out with the slightest bit of chop. I had a 19 foot lsv and my family hated it.

menhadenman

A Carolina skiff will beat your teeth out with the slightest bit of chop. I had a 19 foot lsv and my family hated it.
That’s the LS with modified V? We’re in north Georgia so just small lakes, rivers. Most of the chop is jet ski wake. You’d still pass given that?

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
That’s the LS with modified V? We’re in north Georgia so just small lakes, rivers. Most of the chop is jet ski wake. You’d still pass given that?
Yes sir. I almost threw my wife off the bow 1st time out crossing a bass boat wake. She was upset lol.

ssramage

Is the LS the same as their old DLV line? The issue with those hulls isn't necessarily the the mod-v front hull design, it's the flat bottom.

One other thing to think about. On that ALK2 boat you mentioned, I fished out of a boat with a hull and gunnels like that in a Tripletail tournament that a buddy invited me to down here on SSI. Hands down, the most unsafe I've ever felt in a boat (and I've taken a Gheenoe offshore in Steinhatchee). We were in the SSI sound when a rainstorm blew in and almost capsized. It was extremely tippy and overall just not very stable. We hunkered down under a bridge until it passed and we put it back on the trailer when it passed.

menhadenman

Is the LS the same as their old DLV line? The issue with those hulls isn't necessarily the the mod-v front hull design, it's the flat bottom.

One other thing to think about. On that ALK2 boat you mentioned, I fished out of a boat with a hull and gunnels like that in a Tripletail tournament that a buddy invited me to down here on SSI. Hands down, the most unsafe I've ever felt in a boat (and I've taken a Gheenoe offshore in Steinhatchee). We were in the SSI sound when a rainstorm blew in and almost capsized. It was extremely tippy and overall just not very stable. We hunkered down under a bridge until it passed and we put it back on the trailer when it passed.
You all are talking me back into the key west!?!

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
That's a good looking boat - never heard of em. Looks like Macon or Chattanooga is the closest spot I can lay eyes on one.

Do you know how much they run for the 20' and 22' models?

@1eyefishing , are you asking about wood on account of rot issues? Do they have a reputation good bad or otherwise?
They used a wooden laminated transom for a long time...
Wood rots and thats the only issue with wood. Haven't heard of any continuing issues with them otherwise... Seeing them on the water more now than in the early 2000's when I was looking into them...

Just posted this and a couple more in the random pics from your fishing trips thread in the saltwater section...

Gator89

They used a wooden laminated transom for a long time...
Wood rots and thats the only issue with wood. Haven't heard of any continuing issues with them otherwise... Seeing them on the water more now than in the early 2000's when I was looking into them...

Just posted this and a couple more in the random pics from your fishing trips thread in the saltwater section...

I have a 2004, no issues with the transom so far. Myself and 2 other fellows bought it new in September 2004. I bought them out in 2021.

Gator89

That's a good looking boat - never heard of em. Looks like Macon or Chattanooga is the closest spot I can lay eyes on one.

Do you know how much they run for the 20' and 22' models?

@1eyefishing , are you asking about wood on account of rot issues? Do they have a reputation good bad or otherwise?

Prices on new ones are high.

My boat was ~$25k out the door in 2004 with a 150 hp carbureted Yamaha. We did a motor swap in 2005 or so, that was another ~$3 or 4k. Upgraded to a 200 hp Yamaha HPDI.

In 2021 I bought my 2 partners out for $9k, $4500 each.

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
I have a 2004, no issues with the transom so far. Myself and 2 other fellows bought it new in September 2004. I bought them out in 2021.
Do you have wood in the transom?