Help mounting transducer to yak

jsragan

I have an Ocean Kayak Trident 13 and want to install a sonar. I need to mount the transducer, but I don't want to drill or put holes in the hull. Can anyone recommend a way of mounting? Some type of epoxy?

Thanks!

Randy

What kind of unit do you have?

crackerdave

I used clear silicone,and mounted mine in the "floor" of the hull near the bow/front.It didn't stick permanently to the boat,but it did to the transducer. I put it back in the same spot when I want to use it [seldom] and as long as there's no air bubbles between the transducer bottom side and the boat,it works fine.Shoots right through the hull!

frankwright

If you have a Hummingbird with the correct transducer, OK was nice enough to put the hole there already.
If it is not a Hummingbird, you still have options. Many Kayak owners mount their transducer with Lexel Sealant available at Ace and other places. Others use Marine Goop.
If you search You Tube for "Mounting transducer in Kayak" there are some good videos. especially the ones from Capt. Dick.

MTMiller

mounted mine with Capt. Dick instructions (you tube video) and Lexel bought from ace hardware. 2 years later and lots of abuse from rivers, oyster beds, lakes, dropping kayak, left in truck in 100 degree plus temps, etc. and still works great. Just make sure to go slow and don't get any air bubbles in it. You will need to make a dam out of styrofoam and make sure to weight it down until it dries. Don't use it or move kayak until it fully cures! Some people say to use marine grease but I wouldn't. Hot days + marine grease = huge mess

speechless33759

Stan at Capt Dicks sporting goods have transducer mounting kits that have a rigid plastic case before you pour the lexel/goop in.

pesce

I use water based Green Grease between the hull and the transducer. To keep the transducer in place, I got some industrial velcro tabs and a velcro strap and stuck two tabs to the hull on either side of the transducer and then one tab on top of the transducer. The velcro strap runs across the three tabs and keeps it from shifting around. It's cheap, easy, and you can be on the water minutes after you're done. The grease is rated for temps up to 500 degrees, so it stays put and doesn't migrate. Plus, there's never air bubbles to screw up your picture. I also have a better picture than I did using the other methods.