Wildlife biology programs

Ross1

I am very interested in a school offering wildlife biology. Or any other programs in the same field. Wildlife, forestry, etc. If any one has any info please let me know. Or if any wildlife biologiest have any insight it would be appreciated. I believe this is a field I would love to get into and make a career out of.

MIG

Unless things have changed, ABAC's forestry and wildlife programs are two year programs geared for technical positions. If you want to be a biologist, I'd suggest UGA - you could start off at ABAC for the first two years (in a transfer program) but you would need to go further than what they can offer (you really need a Masters degree).

rip18

The Wildlife Society is the professional organization for wildlife biologists. They are also the organization that offers certification of professional wildlife biologists as "professional" (i.e., a Certified Wildlife Biologist).

Here is a link to their state-by-state list of institutions offering wildlife-related coursework: http://joomla.wildlife.org/index.php?id=144&option=com_content&task=view

Here is a list of institutions having a student chapter of The Wildlife Society: http://joomla.wildlife.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=114&Itemid=194

There are many benefits from pursuing a degree at a university that offers a truly integrated wildlife/forestry degree (on that can result in you being BOTH a Certified Wildlife Biologist and a Registered Forester).

I'd take a close look at the University of Georgia, Mississippi State University, and Texas Tech University as well as looking at Auburn University and Clemson University.

If you have a special interest in a sub-field of wildlife biology (such as wetlands or waterfowl management), then that might influence you to look at other universities as well if they have a strong program in that area.

Also, if an individual professor is at one university or another that you strongly want to work with, that might impact your choice (but that is likely to impact your choice MORE for further degrees).

And while we are on that subject, it is likely that you will want to pursue a Master's degree or even a PhD if you really want to pursue wildlife management in any economically meaningful way... ;)

Having a good, solid background in the science and math (through high school and college) will help immensely as will having hands-on experience (gained as a volunteer or employee). It's pretty easy to get volunteer experience with any number of agencies and organizations, and relatively easy to get "labor" jobs (especially summer work) helping folks with their research projects. The more technical and practical knowledge you have, the wider the selection you will have in the job market.

Good luck!

tad1

UGA Warnell school of Forest Resources x 2
Masters or PhD x 2
There are some other great programs too but I'm biased!

aligator

If you can navigate the site, try A2Z.com Very good site for cost, programs etc. for a lot of schools.:flag:

fishinbub

I'm in the same boat as you, but a year farther along. NGTC, ABAC, and Young Harris all have 2yr programs. Personally, I would stay away from a two year degree. Go for a Edited to Remove Profanity ----Edited to Remove Profanity ---- in Wildlife from UGA, Clemson, Tenn Tech, Auburn, etc. or a Edited to Remove Profanity ----Edited to Remove Profanity ---- in Bio from whatever local school and a MS in Wildlife from a bigger university. That's what I'm doing. Bio from Piedmont, then an MS in Fisheries from Tenn Tech or Clemson...

mclellandk

Graduated with forestry degree and wildlife degree from abac. Wish i would have gone on and got my four year degree in both. Auburn has a great forestry school as well as uga. Get your four year degree. It will benefit you financially in the long run and companies will promot you quicker with it. The company i worked for kept all of us two year guys bustin briars 10 hours a day. The four year guys got to check loggers and meet landowners. Makes a big difference on a hot august day.good luck stay the course!!!!