Looking for guidance

I am interested in learning about knife making and blacksmithing from the pictures of knives I have seen posted here there are some true artist out there any info on classes books or schools would be greatly appreciated

Shotgun1

Thanks,Dave. Hope you are doing well. Poboy you are in a good place to get started Blacksmithing. The ocmulgee Blacksmith Guild Meets very often at Dauset Trails. Next meetind is July 2. The guild is all about teaching and passing on knowledge. Goodle Ocmulgee Blacksmith and look over the website. I think this can be a big help.If I can be of more help let me know.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Shotgun1 I hope you’re doing okay. We need to meet up this week or next before my shoulder replacement surgery.

Thanks shotgun1 for the information I am excited to hear about the blacksmith guild and that they meet at dauset trails as I live fairly close to dauset I will be there

Anvil Head

Great group/guild down there. Can't go wrong hooking up with them. The Georgia Custom Knifemakers' Guild is another good connection as well as the Flint River Knife Club. All are teaching guilds with scholarships available to members in good standing. A lot of us hold cross memberships.

I also help conduct two Hammer-ins a year up in Blairsville at Trackrock Campground. These are free and open to all who can behave. Plus a great private campground if you like camping. Next one is near end of September 22 & 23. Will be posting a more formal announcement when the time gets closer.

There are a lot of good instructional books out there. One I recommend to my new students is Wayne Goddard's "The $50 Knife Shop".
One thing I highly recommend is to start with a good simple high carbon steel like 1084 and learn the physics and geometry necessary to construct a good blade. Thermal cycling and blade geometry are the keys. Leave the more expensive steels and materials for later when you actually know what you are doing. Don't invest a lot of time and money into tools until you are sure what direction you are committed to and that you really want to do.
Not trying to dissuade you by any means. It's an addictive art and I love it, but learning can be a bit frustrating and it's a lot of work to become an accomplished maker.

I commend you on seeking out people and groups to learn from. Few and far between when I started out. Hope you do well and maybe our paths will cross in the future.
Please pm me if you want further details or have any questions that I might help you with.

Shotgun1

Never met Anvil Head but he gives good advise. Be prepared to get hot and dirty. When you get to the point when you hit that hot metal you get a little "rush" you know you are on the right track.

trad bow

trad bow

Try to be there around ten if that’s good.

Big7

The Oracle
YouTube has hundreds of videos on the subject.

I would watch a bunch of them first.

I attended my first meeting of the ocmulgee blacksmith guild today I got to see a copper working demonstration that was very interesting I never thought about all the other faucets of blacksmithing leatherworking tool making knife making it was very eye opening i enjoyed it greatly and the people running it are some of the best folks you will ever meet from the president down to the members I am now a member looking forward to learning a lot in the future

trad bow

I will start attending the meetings of the Ocmulgee Guild once I recover from my upcoming shoulder replacement surgery. I met several of the members at the conference in Madison last month.