Spyder Junky's EDC Knife/Knife Steel Thread...

bullgator

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
That looks like the sheath for another fixed blade I was looking at. Maybe the RMJ Sparrow?
Armitus makes a ton a sheaths for different knives...
All on their website...
I like a horizontal sheath at 5 o'clock because i dont carry a firearm there.
The 3.2 leather one would put my knife upside down, which i haven't tried yet. May work out ok though.
I've been looking hard at the esee xancudo S35VN but this 3.2 may knock it out of consideration.

Me: Just breathe!

bullgator

All on their website...
The 3.2 leather one would put my knife upside down, which i haven't tried yet. May work out ok though.
I've been looking hard at the esee xancudo S35VN but this 3.2 may knock it out of consideration.

This will be at 11 o’clock which, hopefully, work while driving.

bullgator

All on their website...

Check out the Norden Ascent in 3V.

1eyefishing

My Manix 2 Lightweight Salt in magnacut just arrived.
Finally, an EDC piece of magnacut to carry.
Of my other two pieces , my esee sencillo is reserved for skinning game and my spyderco Native 5 was just not as fun to carry as my PM2s and my Sirens.
This thing is large and flawless. 3 oz.! Easily drops open and drops shut without a flick of the wrist or touching the blade.
It's gonna see a lot of pocket time starting right now.
And just in time! I'm headed to florida in the morning to fish for a few days.

Giggity.

20240226_172826.jpg

Aucilla, St Marks, and maybe S.G.I. surf, here I come.

20240226_174356.jpg

One buddy has a place for me to stay and another. Buddy has a boat for me to use.
They are both getting new spydercos as gifts.

Last edited:

bullgator

When you get some time back at home , please post some photos and some initial thoughts!
It won’t officially be mine until tomorrow, but I snuck a few pictures so I could reply to your request.
BTW, my wife got to pick the handle color, and she hates blue…. :huh:
IMG_2757.jpegIMG_2756.jpegIMG_2755.jpeg

1eyefishing

menhadenman

Well @1eyefishing, I made a couple knife mistakes of late. First, I did some surf fishing with my Benchmade Bugout. I rinsed it off with freshwater afterwards, like I do my reels, but oh boy it still got pretty corroded. Stiff to open and obviously in need of a deep clean.

Second mistake, I gave it a deep clean. I’m not the handiest feller but it wasn’t too bad. I disassembled then soaked in that rust penetrator WD-40 overnight after wire brushing… then re-assembled this morning.

Assembly took some time. Not necessarily on complexity but small screws (T6) and fine motor skills and patience (I’m not the best in either).

Got it back together and lubricated with RemOil but it’s still not the same. Functional but good luck opening one handed.

I was already considering sending back for their lifetime sharpening offer to see how they do. I’ll also ask them if they can undo whatever wrong I’ve done.

I’ll likely stick with my fixed blades fishing the salt from here out, but thought I’d share that my G19 woulda fared much better on the beach than my pocket knife.

A few pics of the guts here.

1AB919A3-FF62-48C7-9359-4B9F055B7C5F.jpegABB1B709-BF2C-441E-B5E5-3BB618E6C430.jpeg433C8780-902B-4905-929D-C36D1F467C12.jpegC6EED2BD-5294-42B0-A791-4B27E1C8EE31.jpeg

1eyefishing

Well @1eyefishing, I made a couple knife mistakes of late. First, I did some surf fishing with my Benchmade Bugout. I rinsed it off with freshwater afterwards, like I do my reels, but oh boy it still got pretty corroded. Stiff to open and obviously in need of a deep clean.

Second mistake, I gave it a deep clean. I’m not the handiest feller but it wasn’t too bad. I disassembled then soaked in that rust penetrator WD-40 overnight after wire brushing… then re-assembled this morning.

Assembly took some time. Not necessarily on complexity but small screws (T6) and fine motor skills and patience (I’m not the best in either).

Got it back together and lubricated with RemOil but it’s still not the same. Functional but good luck opening one handed.

I was already considering sending back for their lifetime sharpening offer to see how they do. I’ll also ask them if they can undo whatever wrong I’ve done.

I’ll likely stick with my fixed blades fishing the salt from here out, but thought I’d share that my G19 woulda fared much better on the beach than my pocket knife.

View attachment 1295597View attachment 1295598View attachment 1295599View attachment 1295600
Yikes!
There is a product called corrosion x that I think works best against saltwater corrosion. Their literature says it forms a polar molecular bond with metal best described as similar to magnetism. It resist washing off with detergent or friction. It's my go to stuff on all my saltwater gear.
Spyderco makes a bunch of different knives designed for salt water that are very corrosion resistant, But you're right, before these, I never carried a pocket knife in the salt environment.

Spyderco's PM2 is undoubtedly my favorite knife right now and I just got their first PM2 salt model in Magnacut. I have four others (all shown in this thread I believe) and they have been to the coast a couple times with no issues. Still haven't braved dunking one in the salt water yet...

Tearing down a folder for maintenance and putting it back together sure is a project.

Para Military2 Salt...

20240308_150920.jpg

That black DLC (diamond like coating) is some special stuff At first I was bummed that I got a couple significant scratches on the spine and face of the blade. But next day they had disappeared. The coating is next to diamond in hardness, and it had actually scratched the other objects in my pocket The residual steel on the knife rubbed right off.

menhadenman

Yikes!
There is a product called corrosion x that I think works best against saltwater corrosion. Their literature says it forms a polar molecular bond with metal best described as similar to magnetism. It resist washing off with detergent or friction. It's my go to stuff on all my saltwater gear.
Spyderco makes a bunch of different knives designed for salt water that are very corrosion resistant, But you're right, before these, I never carried a pocket knife in the salt environment.

Spyderco's PM2 is undoubtedly my favorite knife right now and I just got their first PM2 salt model in Magnacut. I have four others (all shown in this thread I believe) and they have been to the coast a couple times with no issues. Still haven't braved dunking one in the salt water yet...

Tearing down a folder for maintenance and putting it back together sure is a project.

Para Military2 Salt...

View attachment 1295622

That black DLC (diamond like coating) is some special stuff At first I was bummed that I got a couple significant scratches on the spine and face of the blade. But next day they had disappeared. The coating is next to diamond in hardness, and it had actually scratched the other objects in my pocket The residual steel on the knife rubbed right off.
I’m afraid you’re gonna cost me some more money!

1eyefishing

I’m afraid you’re gonna cost me some more money!
Spyderco H2 is the least expensive 'salt model' steel.
LC200N is a step up in edge retention and EXTREMELY corrosion resistant.
Magnacut is tops in toughness and edge retention and nearly as corrosion resistant as LC200N.
The hardware and the spacers in the salt models are designed to be corrosion resistant also.
(y)

menhadenman

View attachment 1295597View attachment 1295598View attachment 1295599View attachment 1295600

Update on my Bugout to share. After getting it all back together it was clear that operations wasn't nearly as smooth as it was prior to saltwater corrosion. As in you could barely open it with one hand.

So I got to thinking about the lifetime warranty/sharpening service and sent it back to Benchmade. Return was pretty easy and I just put a note to ask them to get it running smooth again and sharpen the blade. Lo' and behold I got a UPS message today saying it's on the way back home. Maybe a two week turnaround.

So I will admit that I was pretty turned off by them participating in the destruction of firearms story (here), but the customer service so far has me a little more warm and fuzzy. We'll see how the knife looks once it gets back but I'm hopeful so far and glad it didn't cost me a thing.

1eyefishing

Smokin deal here...

I have the lightweight tenacious (smaller brother) in the same steel and it is a quality piece... paid about the same price for it.
One a my favorites!

1eyefishing

A couple of my newer ones...

I gifted both of those Dragonfly 2 Salts so I had to have another one for myself... fully serrated. Pinfish and mullet are gonna hate it.

20240327_170854.jpg

The Esee-3 in S35VN was delivered same day. It will be a skinner that directly matches my Esee-4 S35VN camp knife.

This one is a limited sprint run of a knife that was discontinued years ago. It is a folding fillet knife.
'Catcherman' in the super corrosion resistant LC200N steel.
I bought two thinking about thinning the bevel to 10° on one, but if it works like a charm with the 15° bevel I'll leave it at that. I like that the long and flexible blade will have its own sheath 100% of the time...

20240328_170543.jpg

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
A couple of my newer ones...

I gifted both of those Dragonfly 2 Salts so I had to have another one for myself... fully serrated. Pinfish and mullet are gonna hate it.

View attachment 1299043

The Esee-3 in S35VN was delivered same day. It will be a skinner that directly matches my Esee-4 S35VN camp knife.

This one is a limited sprint run of a knife that was discontinued years ago. It is a folding fillet knife.
'Catcherman' in the super corrosion resistant LC200N steel.
I bought two thinking about thinning the bevel to 10° on one, but if it works like a charm with the 15° bevel I'll leave it at that. I like that the long and flexible blade will have its own sheath 100% of the time...

View attachment 1299044

2 things -

1. It's entirely possible to have too many knives.

2. I think you're there.

:bounce:

menhadenman

Well I got my knife back from Benchmade. Gotta admit it looks and operates like new. Customer service was great and it didn’t cost me a dime. Pretty happy with the outcome.38FA1A90-BB10-4BFE-8FF8-3B09D01CFFDE.jpeg