Spyder Junky's EDC Knife/Knife Steel Thread...

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
This past early fall, I lost (or hopefully misplaced) my 2nd Benchmade in about 4 yrs. It stung like losing an expensive pair of sunglasses and I decided to swamp myself with cheaper knives for my convenience instead of putting all my eggs into one expensive basket.
I bought SOG Flash AT, a couple Gerbers (a second Air Ranger and an Evo Jr.), a Camillus, and a $60 Chinese made Spyderco Emphasis. The Flash and the Emphasis were the most expensive at about $80 and $60...
The Emphasis's easy to use ergonomics and the edge that the entry level 8Cr13Mov steel took was beyond anything I'd imagined for the money. The knife would flick open with ease by using your thumb in the hole like you were flipping a coin. It would then drop shut without anything touching the blade (except gravity) to the point where it would hit your thumb that was depressing the liner lock. It would be sharp enough to damage your thumb there, except for the fact that the finger choil in the back under side of the blade falls exactly where the liner lock is. So I let it drop till it touches my thumb and then use the same thumb to finish closing the knife...
Soon I began to wonder if I could get a knife this good for 60 bucks. What on earth could I get even better for a little more $$$ ?
I fell into the Spyderco hole. And I was right back to $150-$200 knives.
So just like when I fell into the reloading hole, I did not save any money. I just had 10+ times more ammunition with the same $$$.
Turns out that Spydrrco is a very bold company that is not afraid to experiment with all sorts of top end knife steels on their plethora of solid models.
Their probable most popular model would be the Paramilitary 2 that has been released in over 70 different versions with different knife steals handle materials and liners/no liners etc. It is very user serviceable and easy to modify with the ton of after market parts and scales (handles) made for it. You could probably take a look at dozens of peoples' PM2s and never see the same thing twice.
So I bought one of those and it has been off to the races but more about those later
I've never been into daggerish/fighting type knives but if thats what you EDC, then lets see them.
Personally, I am more into the kind of knives than the southern sportsman would have in his pocket or the woods or in camp or on the trail at any given time.
I love some fixed blade EDC and skinning knives and bushcraft knives also.
It took me a lot of reading and rereading to actually get the feel of what is going on with today's top end knife steels, and I've fallen into that hole too.
There are even some steels beyond my level of interest that won't be found on a under $400.
But smokem if ya gottem...
Also very interested in sharpening techniques and their applications. I do most of my homeowner/novice level sharpening on ceramic rods, but am starting to experiment with diamond plates, stones to a lesser extent, and stropping.

Here is the Emphasis (the largest of 3 models that based on eacher) that started this ball rooling for me...
For $60 I was super impressed...

20231222_163258.jpg20231222_164604.jpg

Whatcha got?

1eyefishing

Yojimbo 2. EDC for 9 years. Bought it as a wedding present for myself.

View attachment 1277778View attachment 1277779

Ah, is that the CPM S30V?
That is a box cutter on steriods.
Some of those Bucks right there used S30V also...
Great stuff. And at least ur not bringin just a knife to a gunfight. :bounce:
I've got the hots for some S35VN right now or its slightly tougher Spyderco proprietary SPY27.
Sitting on 2 brand new CPM Magnacuts, CPM Cruwear, and LC200N units right now. All in good time...

1eyefishing

Yes, ALL the US made spydercos are higher quality than those from China or tiawan...

jbogg

Those look great Corbett! I picked up two new knives over the past year as well. Both were well under $100, and so far I am very impressed with how they retain an edge. The top is an Esee Izoula II, and the bottom is my EDC, and is some sort of Buck folding knife. I’m completely ignorant on different steel types, but so far so good for these two. And I’m definitely not losing that ESEE in the leaves while skinning a critter.
IMG_8954.jpeg

Last edited:

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
I'll try to find my old original Spyderco that I bought in the early 90's when I first heard of them. I put some hard use on that knife but quit carrying it when I found out how much they cost now. I carry cheap knives now.

1eyefishing

I'll try to find my old original Spyderco that I bought in the early 90's when I first heard of them. I put some hard use on that knife but quit carrying it when I found out how much they cost now. I carry cheap knives now.

I'd be very interested to see that...
Chances are if it is not american made, it is not a high dollar model or expensive to replace...
My first was also bought in the 90s... an original Clip-it Rescue.
Lightweight and indestructible, it stayed in my pocket or on my climbing belt for many years as I ran a tree service here in Roswell. Never could tell when I might have to cut a rope and it would go through a half inch rigging line or climbing line with one swipe if there was any weight on it at all. Never had to use it in an emergency, but had plenty of use cutting off knots that rookies didn't know how to tie so that they would untie after being weighted. Two knots to cut, and you were excused from rope duty! Esp if one was in the middle of a line and I had to cut a 2-3 hundred dollar rope in half!
The ATS-55 steel was upper end for the day, but not very corrosion resistant. Looking at mine now, I see that buffing it up with some Flitz will be in order.
Made in Seki City, Japan...

20231223_112649.jpg

Last edited:

HermanMerman

This Benchmade Bugout stays in my pocket…mostly because I haven’t lost it yet but I’ve had it for three years so it’s due to grow legs at some point. S30v steel which is tough but if I get it dull it’s a challenge to get back to sharp. Usually a regular strop session for 5 minutes or so keeps the edge where I want it. I like scales that stick out in case I drop it outside somewhere, but the scales on this one are a little flimsy…if you grip it hard enough you can feel the scales give in your hand.

Attachments

• IMG_0237.jpeg
    IMG_0237.jpeg
    150.7 KB · Views: 13

1eyefishing

Those look great Corbett! I picked up two new knives over the past year as well. Both were well under $100, and so far I am very impressed with how they retain an edge. The top is an Esee Izoula II, and the bottom is my EDC, and is some sort of Buck folding knife. I’m completely ignorant on different steel types, but so far so good for these two. And I’m definitely not losing that ESEE in the leaves while skinning a critter.
View attachment 1277880

Love me some Esse, John!

I read where you left your Morakniv in a backwoods camp a year or so ago. Be glad that is what a morakniv is for! For about twenty bucks you can't buy a better bush craft knife... especially when you might leave it or lose it in the woods.

I had a Xancudo and an Esee-3 and an Esee-4 in my hands just the other day. The 3 and the 4 were SV35N, and the Xancudo because... Xancudo!
They lost out to yet another Spyderco which I will get too shortly...
But I do have the Sencillo in Magnacut! Along with my Browning set and two Gerber Gators, I may never need another skinner...

20231218_145730.jpg

20231218_145837.jpg

20231223_121323.jpg

Last edited:

1eyefishing

This Benchmade Bugout stays in my pocket…mostly because I haven’t lost it yet but I’ve had it for three years so it’s due to grow legs at some point. S30v steel which is tough but if I get it dull it’s a challenge to get back to sharp. Usually a regular strop session for 5 minutes or so keeps the edge where I want it. I like scales that stick out in case I drop it outside somewhere, but the scales on this one are a little flimsy…if you grip it hard enough you can feel the scales give in your hand.
This is a heck of a working knife.
I lost one like it in black on black. I'm not sure which steel because at the time I was just a little more indifferent on knives than I am recently...
Hopefully with my new appreciation I will not be losing any more!
I think the partial liner in that model makes it lighter and a more flexible...

1eyefishing

I have found that about a 6 inch brightly colored lanyard helps me keep track of my pocket knives. I would historically usually remove the clip so it rides in my pocket more comfortably. If I reach into that pocket and grab the lanyard out comes the knife with the correct end pointed towards my hand so I can just scooch up on the lanyard and have the proper grip.
Lately I am trying to keep up with the knife on the clip but i'm undecided on whether to add a lanyard with the clip. Still experimenting...

jbogg

Love me some Esse, John!

I read where you left your Morakniv in a backwoods camp a year or so ago. Be glad that is what a morakniv is for! For about twenty bucks you can't buy a better bush craft knife... especially when you might leave it or lose it in the woods.

I had a Xancudo and an Esee-3 and an Esee-4 in my hands just the other day. The 3 and the 4 were SV35N, and the Xancudo because... Xancudo!
They lost out to yet another Spyderco which I will get too shortly...
But I do have the Sencillo in Magnacut! Along with my Browning set and two Gerber Gators, I may never need another skinner...

View attachment 1277885

View attachment 1277886

View attachment 1277888
I love the look of that Sencillo! Looks like it would make a fine Skinner. I do miss my Mora. It even had a cool little ferro rod built into the sheath. I did consider for a minute hiking back in to retrieve it, but then realized the MRI bill for my knees, would far exceed the cost of the knife.:(

Dub

Carry blades & gats.

Boker fixed blade & Colt Series 70

IMG_0475.jpeg

Winkler belt knife & Les Baer UTC

IMG_6858.jpegIMG_6857.jpeg

Spyderco & Dan Wesson Valor commander

IMG_2151.jpegIMG_1701.jpeg

Kershaw assisted opener (crazy sharp) & Dan Wesson Guardian

IMG_0803.jpeg

Spyderco PM-2....also crazy sharp. Great size, yet ultra light.
IMG_9567.jpeg

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Carry blades & gats.

View attachment 1277999

View attachment 1278000View attachment 1278001

View attachment 1278002View attachment 1278003

View attachment 1278004

View attachment 1278005

That fixed blade Tree Brand is good looking, functional blade.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Thank you.

It is a small size, yet useful.
Carries well.

I`m most particular about my knives, more so than many. I won`t carry a knife if it doesn`t conform to my personal specifications and do what I ask of it. And I`m fairly demanding. That one has potential.

Reactions: Dub

1eyefishing

Carry blades & gats.

View attachment 1277999

View attachment 1278000View attachment 1278001

View attachment 1278002View attachment 1278003

View attachment 1278004

View attachment 1278005

Now we're talkin!

Is that a spyderco tenacious with the dan wesson? Could be on my menu... I've seen them in SPY27.

I guess those are magic marker marks on the kershaw to assist in sharpening?

And the first PM2 of the thread... SV45N I see. I'm hoping will get a few more. And I'll bet we won't see two of the same configuration. I will get to mine in this thread and i'm also looking for a second in SV35N or its slightly tougher cousin SPY27.
Something like this...

Screenshot_20231223_194416_Google.jpg

They are lasers for sure. Shaving sharp of course, but i'm trying to get mine to cut loose hairs held by one end more consistently. It's grabbing them sometimes but not always.
I still haven't even stropped it yet. But picked up my first strop yesterday and i'm waiting on some diamond stropping compound from Amazon. Not gonna put the green stuff on it.

Nice littttle collection there... :bounce: