Welder duty cycle

merc123

I'm looking at getting a Miller 211 (110 and 220 capable) and it's showing 150 Amps at 23.5 VDC, 30% duty cycle (230 V) and 90 Amps at 20 VDC, 20% duty cylce (120 V).

I've tried to google duty cycle and I get the 3 minutes out of 10 for continuous weld.

I was borrowing a Lincoln Sp125 Plus in my race car shop for a while but gave it back when I moved.

The whole time I used it I never welded for more than 30 to 45 seconds solid. I would weld for say 10 seconds and stop to check my work. Then I'd start for another 10 or 15 and check.

Would this duty cycle be sufficient for my welding type? Also, how would I know if I'm using the full 150 or 90 amps? Thanks!

W4DSB

should be fine that is 3 mins non stop and thats alot of welding!
the ampacity would depend on your supply voltage either 110 or 230

Hammack

you will be fine. The duty cycle of a welder is measured as the amount of time you can weld during a ten minute cycle. Also as your Voltage goes up your duty cycle comes down and lowering your voltage will allow a higher duty cycle. Mig welders are what is called constant Voltage. Without getting to complicated the Voltage will be your heat at which you weld. You should be able to tell by the dial on the machine what the approximate voltage you are welding at.

fireman401

That is how duty cycle is measured. A 30% duty cycle at a specified setting gives you 3 minutes of welding and 7 minutes of cooling time for the machine within the 10 minute time frame. When you go below the specified setting, you gain a little more weld time, but not by great amount. It does have a thermal overload shut down feature that should keep you from burning it up. If you suddenly cannot it to weld after some hard usage, that is what stopped it. It will reset after it cools. That should keep you safe.

merc123

I hardly ever weld on the "high" setting for the voltage. Maybe 5 or 3. Sounds like it'll be fine for what I need it for.

Big7

The Oracle
If your building race cars.. Roll cages, etc..
I would stay away from the flux cored and go with at LEAST
gas shielded arc MIG or even better TIG!

My 2