BTW- I got a doe two, in Kentucky

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
After getting my first buck, we spent the next morning just cleaning him up, getting the meat on ice and removing the skull cap. That evening Len and I hunted the same spot, but saw nothing. The next morning I got a nice doe, but she went into the bottom. I knew I wasn’t gonna drag her out. I contemplated getting a 4 wheeler down there too. I’m sure I could have got close enough to get a winch on her and get her back to camp. However, it wasn’t my 4 wheeler so I didn’t want to put it through what I’ve seen these guys do…….they would have just mowed over any sapling in the way!
I’ve only cleaned a few deer and found myself a Perfect opportunity to clean a deer like I would at home. I text my cousin who was at work to make sure it was ok to leave the carcass there. He said go for it! I’m getting much better at field quartering! This was a Big doe and it didn’t all fit in my bag, so Len carried out the shoulders. It was only about 40 yards to the 4 wheeler, but 30 of it was straight up hill! Throwing that heavy pack on my back and getting up that hill just about killed me! But it was Perfect and I can’t wait to do it again!
So now I’ve killed two deer and Len isn’t having the same luck. Friday morning was gonna be my last sit as I had to leave that afternoon. At morning coffee, I sarcastically asked Len, “would you like me to kill a deer for you too?” He replies “would you please!?!” I told him focus on a buck and I’d try to kill him a doe……….or else I’d be giving him a bunch of my meat.
Friday morning I sit in a stand til about 9 or so, then walk over and take down my blind. I hated to leave so I walked down the rd again, wind in my face. Every white oak along the way had acorns that were being eaten. I got to a turn that went downhill to where I shot my buck from Tuesday evening. I stopped and lay on the ground again rifle setup downhill…..I could see maybe 150 yards with a dozen white oaks along that downhill slope. To my right, I could see about about 60 yards and where I just came from. I figured they come from my right so I made a big snow angel in the leaves……no cares, just having fun! I was clearing everything out and even practiced making the rightward transition. Now I’m settled in. It’s really cold, the wind is blowing, but the Sun is Shining down hard on me and keeping me warm from head to toe……..ok so toe warmers in my boots and a big warmer in each glove helped a little.
I was there maybe 20 minutes and my trip was ending fast. I sat up on my knees and thanked God for a Perfect week! I also told God that I’d really like to get Len a doe! If not, it was still a perfect week! I had a hard time making myself get up to go. After maybe 10 more minutes that went by in about 5 seconds, I said ok, you gotta go. I literally was getting up to leave and I see a small deer over my right shoulder. Really!?! I lay back down real quick and pick up the rifle. I swing over to my right and settle in. I get my scope on the totally clueless I’m here, deer, but it’s a spike. Wait, there is another bigger deer behind him and it’s a doe! I move my crosshairs to her. Now I’m starting to shake, tremble and my heart rate goes through the roof! Im laying prone with my rifle on it’s bipod, but everything is shaking! I even flinched on a false trigger pull! What’s going on? Ok, deeeeep breath. This time I was able to calm everything down and it went into slow motion again and BOOM! Holy smokes! I just shot my 3rd deer! She didn’t go very far, but she turn on me and I got some guts on the exit side. I text Len(who was back at the house eating a sandwich)and asked him to come get me and HIS deer! He loves to gut a deer, but may have met his match this time…….lemme just say, NEVER open up a guts shot deer! I’ll never open another deer, ever!
More fun than I deserve and a Perfect week!

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Sounds like you had a LARGE time in Kentucky.
I certainly did. I’m kind of sad cause I’m covered in deer meat and not hunting anymore til it’s all taken care of and there is room for another! And it’s bout peak rut! This guy showed up in my yard yesterday around noon!

CF9CFE05-4D43-4762-8B3A-6C182BDC9FAD.jpeg

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Good deal, man! Enjoyed your story! :cheers:

DSGB

Congrats on your success in Kentucky @bfriendly ! You've certainly put in the time to make it happen.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Next year the family reunion is gonna be there in Kentucky! Perfect, cause usually it’s in Ohio where the rest of my moms surviving 6 brothers and her sister live. Gonna be sweet to take the family to that place we go! It truly is heaven on earth!

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
I think my cousins biggest deer taken over the years is like a 142 and a 145. But he said last week he heard a Roar sound he has never heard before! It came from a giant buck he’s never seen before or captured on a trail cam…… and he has cams all over that place! He was really worked up about it and said it was way bigger than his best! I have envisioned in my mind over and over seeing just that buck!
One day, I’ll see and kill a giant deer out there that he has never seen before, God willing.