What to do about club members shoting small deer

J Ferguson

I've been a club in Hancock county since I was born 30 years ago and its a great club but it is big member wise we started several years back trying to get the guys to let smaller deer walk with some but little succes but now we are lucky enough to have a county wide 4 on one side rule the problem now is guys shoting 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 basket rack deer which I dont mind if you never killed A good deer and your gonna have it mounted but if you have killed big deer while kill these young basket rack deer but the real kicker is we had some cone in that dont have leagal 4 on one side there is about 60 members in our club that makes rules hard to make all these people agree on even with a board of directors I'm thinking about calling the game warden the next time a illegal deer is brought in maybe they at least learn there leason any suggestions

Just 1 More

Bite the bullet,,, reduce the number of members, cull the repete offenders, and work towards a greater good. It will take a little time but in 3 years you will se a big difference in your deer heard numbers as well as the maturity of the heard

PWalls

You should set a standard for buck size based on antler (spread and # of points). When someone shoots one under that (except for first time buck kill ever, especially for a kid), then there should be a monetary penalty.

We use 8 points and/or outside the ears on spread with a $100 fine for breaking that.

leo

Retired Woody's Mod 7/01-12/09
If .................

your club rules/bylaws state that "ALL STATE/COUNTY GAME LAWS WILL BE OBEYED" then get rid of the ones that are violating them. ;)

As far as the ones shooting the bucks that are legal and not up to someone else's standards, unless the club has a "rule" concerning that, then IMO, you will have a hard row to hoe in convincing them to change their actions or agree to a change the club rules.

With that many members it may be hard to to get an agreement on something that is not against the law. :)

leo

reylamb

If your club has no rules against it, and if what they shoot is legal, what can you do? Nothing.

Now, for the individual that shot the illegal buck, by county standards, turn them in.

gadeerwoman

Rules will work only as long as all the members follow them and if you aren't in charge of the club, good luck. You won't know what is going on when you aren't there. I've come to the conclusion that only half of what goes on on some clubs is public knowledge and it's often club officers who are the worst offenders. Only sure solutions: change clubs or find some acreage to lease yourself! Small tracts of land are not that hard to find and you can have better control over what gets taken off.

270win

I agree with what D2D said. I try to take one cull buck and one trophy per season. No need to let a 4 1/2 year old spike walk. So unless it's your first buck ever or a cull buck, you kill it, you mount it. That standard caused me to let a decent 8 pointer walk about 3-4 weeks ago. He was nice but I've got bigger deer on the wall..... Whoever sees him next year will have an encounter with a really nice buck! Hopefully it'll be me! :bounce:
JMO

270win

Larry Rooks

IF YA GOT MEMBERS SHOOTING ILLEGAL DEER, KICK THEM OUT OF THE CLUB
AND TURN THEM INTO THE GAME WARDEN. THIS IS AN AGE OLD PROBLEM WHERE SOME JUST GOT TO SHOOT ANYTHING THAT WALKS BY, LEGAL OR NOT :mad:

GeauxLSU

Redneck,
I'm may be confused but I think you're asking two questions.

1) What to do with a poacher?
2) How to get others to agree on something that is NOT in the rules?

If I'm misunderstanding, sorry. If I'm not, well... I think you know the answers.

Hunt/fish safely,
Phil

J Ferguson

Your right I guess it is two ? as far as the 1 1/2 & 2 1/2 year old deer everone is right I've been tring to get the you shoot it you mount it rule passed that way ever one gets a chance at what they make think a trophy is the problem is older members that have big deer mounted and plan on mounting no more anyway I dont like it the way it is but what can you do I guess my real ? was what to do about the illeagal deer you hate to cause problems with other members but I'm all for calling the game warden thanks for everones input

J Ferguson

Oh yea sorry about spelling and wording I aint much on these computers and especialy at typing

jeeptastic

Gone but not forgotten
As for me

Go take a leak behind a tree, pull out your cell phone and call the game warden, turn in the poachers and make a $100 for turning them in. Donate the money to your hunting club. :mad:

H

HT2

Neck.....

First of all....

60 member is way, way, way to many to try and control......It doesn't matter how much land you have......

You can try and control what they shoot, by havin' them mount it, or even by fining them if the club comes up with restriction and they violate them......

But, havin' 60 members you just ain't gonna be able to control it.....

My suggestion if it's possible.......

Cut the membership "WAY DOWN" and raise the dues........If these are viable options.......I'd suggest you to look around for somethin' that would be more controllable......Or somethin' that might fit into what you are lookin' for.......

Good Luck brother!!!!!! :)

J Ferguson

Your probably right HT2 but like Isaid i'm30 years old and was born into this club its a family thing that has spread way nout it was started in 1961 and there is not a beter club in the southeast for what we have its a bring your wife and kids and critters type place we all have either houses or mobil not motor homes water , elec. at our own place our camp is probley nicer than the whole town of sparta not thats saying much I guess what I,m tring to say is it's a great place and we have about 4500 acres of beautiful land so I guess I caint drink my milk and have my cookies too so I'll guiet whining about the young deer untill we have a rule in place but the illeagl ones we'll let the state handle THANKS TO ALL .

gabowman

I hear what your saying redneck. It's tough seeing some folks in the club ruin what you remember once having. Me personally, I dont necessarily agree with width restrictions but I do agree with mount what you kill plus one cull buck or either take out does for the meat. It's hard to find exactly what you're looking for in a club. Alot of the well established clubs such as yours HAS to take on new members to keep the dues affordable for the rest, but unless the rules are explicit then those newbies are gonna kill what is allowable so they feel they are "getting their money's worth" so to speak.

BTW, you dont have to tell the people in the club, but you can make that cell phone call from the woods on those illegal deer too. I'm sure there are others that feel the same as you do about that too.

GB