Great weekend a deer camp despite not killing anything

Waddams

I just have to say this past weekend was great. My wife (God Bless Her!) was a trooper. I didn't kill anything, did get to walk a new area, found all kinds of good sign, have some thoughts to hunt it. Got a few other things done I'd wanted to. And other members put down deer and then dumped the meat on me (they were full already). I got 3 deer in coolers in my backyard aging now. I spent 2 hours Saturday night at the skinning pole. My poor wife got to sit by the campfire she built for me, with the whiskey she brought me, with a vat of deer chili in the cooker, by herself instead of hanging out with me. I figured if they were gonna give me the meat, I should be there to do the work...she's such a keeper! The deer processors were full around us and not taking anymore, so we couldn't just go drop them off, or I might have.

Only issue - when that meat is aged enough, I need to find someone to grind it because otherwise it will take me all weekend to grind it up with my little grinder. And I think I need to convince my wife to keep dumping ice in over the weekend while I'm hunting peak rut at the club! I'm gonna owe my wife, but I think that's already planned. Christmas this year is a trip to Progresso and Cancun Mexico, and then we're going to Norway in March.

This weekend highlighted how blessed I am - enough meat to fill the freezer for the next year, a great wife, and a great hunting club. I doesn't get better than that.

Last edited: