Vacuum sealer.

Rackbuster

I have a vacuum sealer but haven't used it yet.My uncle in law says he doesn't like his because when he uses his it pulls the blood out and stops up the sealer.He has to clean it out after just a few packs.I thought about putting the meat in the freezer just overnight and then vacuum sealing it.What do you think of doing that?Sounds like to me that would be the thing to do.

bamaboy

Yea mine does the same thing and I take 2 paper towels and roll them up and put them in the hole and vacuum seal away! The towels soak up the blood but you will go through some towels my way. I never tried it your way but I will, keep us informed and let us know how it works.

fredw

Retired Moderator
I freeze meats/fish/dishes like chili, etc., before vacuum sealer to prevent the problem. Works like a charm.

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
Freeze it first OR buy one that has a moist seal option. Also, if it is really moist I hit the "seal" button once the juices start coming up the bag and then it stops it from leaking out.

fredw

Retired Moderator
dawg2, what make and model are you using. Mine doesn't have the moist seal option nor do I have a seal button. Both sound like nice features to have.

aligator

If you notice meat market put that pink paper in their package meats. People in the business(that I know call it a diaper)put a folded paper towel in the package prior to sealing it. works find for us.

shadow2

dawg2, what make and model are you using. Mine doesn't have the moist seal option nor do I have a seal button. Both sound like nice features to have.

I have the same options you are asking about on my food saver. Put stuff in bag and let er rip. No issues unless the sealer starts to over heAt every now and then which slows the process down by a min or two

rhbama3

Administrator
Staff member

fred, i have the Foodsaver model v2420. It has the high/low and most/dry settings in addition to the seal function.
I like to use the rolled up paper towel trick on top of the meat as opposed to pre-freezing. That way, i eliminate any ice crystals formed on the meat when i vacuum seal. I simply watch and when the moisture is almost all the way thru the paper towel, i can press seal and not get any water in the vac. chamber or heat seal.

thomas the redneck

I freeze meats/fish/dishes like chili, etc., before vacuum sealer to prevent the problem. Works like a charm.
i do the same thing to works real well with soups when you freeze them in the sandwich tuperware containers before you vac seal them and it stacks real good in the freezer

trial&error

I make package fill with meat then freeze then vacuum seal. If you go this way and want to marinate your meat you can freeze the marinade in ice cube trays then drop one in the bag. When you set it out to cook as it thaws it draws the marinade into the meat.

I freeze spaghetti sauce, chili, soups, anything made in large batches then vacuum seal. Love that kitchen tool.

germag

Gone But Not Forgotten
I use paper towels. Works like a champ.

holton27596

Tried all the above. Put the meat in the freezer just long enough to freeze it ( much longer and you will quickly get freezer burn), then vacuum seal it. I ve opened bags that way after being in the freezer for over a year and they are still fresh when thawed.

NorthGaHunter

Paper towels has worked fine for me. I have also put the meat in a cheap sandwitch bag (non ziplock) and then sealed. Doing this pretty much eliminates the need to wash the bags if you want to reuse them. I have also wrapped the meat in wax paper and then put that in the vacuum sealer bag. Wax papers works good and give a little added protection to the meat and also elimates the need to wash the bags.....take the meat out of the vacuum seal bags before thawing.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Usually I just pat the meat dry with paper towels before sealing and I am good to go. Stuff like soup and chili is more problematic.

I haven't tried freezing first but that might be a good way to go.

NorthGaHunter

I haven't tried freezing first but that might be a good way to go.

Burger patties, I always freeze them first. Usually stack the patties about 3 high in a 2 gallon freezer bag. Once they are frozen, I vacuum seal them. Freezing first, keeps the patties from getting squished!