Birds #2 and 3

Bucky T

GONetwork Member
Public land birds.

My son is helping me show them off.:cheers::D

Bird #2 was a jake.. Very fun hunt, took 45 minutes for him to gobble, hang up, come a little, and hang up some more, till he finally came into view.. Saw his blue and white head coming through the mix of small sweetgums, tried to reposition a bit, he saw me, putted and started to leave... 55-60yd shot, and I took it. He dropped stone dead. Thought he was a longbeard the whole time. Oh well it was fun!

Bird #3 came in last weekend with 2 of his longbeard friends.. Yes, I thought about the jake from previous hunt....:D:hammers:

I had to wait for the other birds to get out of the way of the lead bird, when they did, I dropped him at 35yds. 20lbs, 10 1/4" beard, 1 1/8" hooks.

A very fun and rewarding season to say the least!

Attachments

• Redlands 4-22-12 3 (600 x 450).jpg
    Redlands 4-22-12 3 (600 x 450).jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 546
  • Redlands 4-28-12 with Lane (600 x 600).jpg
    Redlands 4-28-12 with Lane (600 x 600).jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 507

HucK Finn

Nice..... that is a boss looking jake; I would have done the same thing.

(I will be shocked if nobody comments on the shot distance)

Bucky T

GONetwork Member
Nice..... that is a boss looking jake; I would have done the same thing.

(I will be shocked if nobody comments on the shot distance)

He weighed 16lbs. On the bathroom scales which are accurate.

If somebody comments about the range of the shot, I don't care.

My setup will handle a bird fine at that range, but I don't take a shot like that unless it's an emergency.

Only two shots over 50yds in my career and both birds didn't move.

I prefer a nice 30-35yd shot. Not to close, not to far.

Arrow3

I can't believe you shot a jake.....:rofl:

Thats exactly how I killed one 3-4 years ago....You could have knocked me over with a feather when I walked up on him and seen it was a jake.

Bucky T

GONetwork Member
I can't believe you shot a jake.....:rofl:

Thats exactly how I killed one 3-4 years ago....You could have knocked me over with a feather when I walked up on him and seen it was a jake.

I stood there and blinked my eyes a couple of times wondering why the beard was so small....:rofl:

Don't worry, I thought about it when bird number 3 strolled in with 2 other longbeards in tow.... :D

And I thought about it again, when I walked up to look at the recently deceased bird #3 and his two longbeard compadres were standing 20yds away looking at me, then they casually walked off... It was like they knew I couldn't touch them....:D:D

Hawken2222

Congrats again Tommy. It's just a matter of time before Lane shoots his first birds.

harryrichdawg

Congrats on a great season Bucky T and kudos for sticking to the limit. There are a whole lot of people on this site that would have taken home bird #4.