Heat treat question for knifemakers.

Battlewagon

I have a piece of 1050 sheet steel 10"X 2" square with a wall thickness of .040. Are there any knife makers within a hundred or so miles of Dublin that use Austempering? And would someone who does be willing to heat treat it?

Anvil Head

1050 is a marginal carbon level blade steel. Works just so so even with excellent heattreating. Too many much better blade steels out there to make it worth the trouble for most serious makers. Some use it for patternwelded work and liner lock springs, but not a sellable warranted blade.
I'm sure there are some makers in your area that can do the HT properly, whether they will or not...couldn't tell you.

Battlewagon

Thank you for the reply. This is not a blade. I gave the dimensions in my op. Just need to get it heat treated.

koakid

Austempering ,what is this. i don't know this term . I might could do a very rough heat treatment, i would have to know what the process for 1050 is. and my oven is very small. also you might take it to the trade school and talk to mr. hall they may do it for you. I know there oven is large enough . jody in cochran ga.

Anvil Head

Be helpful to know intended use.